Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, needing some tips (if there is any)..on seperating my firewall from the cowl. I am attempting to replace the lower half of my firewall and front section of floor. I took liberties in drilling thru the spot welds ( the ones I could detect). I have a donor floor and wall and would like to replace it as one unit. Is there any way to seperate the two..or is it all brute force? I didn't know if there is some sort of seam sealer on the lips. Thanks in advance

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
I like to use a speed wheel, and locate all the spot welds by grinding off the spot weld on the panel you intend on discarding. Then do the opposite to the donor panel. Now when you have removed the donor panel, clean the panel in the spot weld area, and do the same to the panel left on the car. Now dry fit the two panels and mark where you intend to put your spot welds.
This way you won't drill any holes in the donor panel were there is no sheet metal to attach it to. I like a 3/8 drill bit, for the spot holes. It's not to big but gives you plenty area to mig to. There are other ways, but for me this nets the best results. :)

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
It's usually just a matter of drilling the spot welds out and making sure you got all of them. Biggest problem I've had is getting slightly off center when drilling spot welds, and then the metal fights to come apart due to a small amount remaining. Once you've got all the spots drilled, slip a small thin chisel in between the two panels and tap it in to separate them at each weld. There may be some seam sealer along mating edges, but not between the panels. After it's all separated and you've pried the old firewall out, you may have to test fit the new panel and tap the panels down to ensure a good close fit before proceeding with welding in new panels.
As Steve noted, holes that line up are not helpful, so if you see them lined up during test fitting, just mark them and weld them up before re-fitting the panel for welding. That will fill the hole below so it wont blow out while welding the panel in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts