Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scratched around for quite some time for my Dixco Don Garlits tach and found one. My next search is going to be a little tougher I'm afraid. So here it goes !! My dad had stashed in the garage since I was a young boy a brand new never mounted Bobby Unser Special L-60-15. Now I need to find a mate for it. I would love to hang a set of those on the backside of the studebaker. Does anyone have one setting around their shop they'd want to part with ? image.jpg image.jpg

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
As much fun as it would be to find a pair, I'm not sure I'd put rubber under my gasser that was that old, even if it was NOS. Rubber deteriorates with time and loses elasticity, and although it may look like new, it can fail without the warning of cracks, etc. to let you know.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I don't find a mate for it I'll mount a big clock in it and hang it on the wall. Nice conversation piece !!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Those tires would look cool under the Stude. Too bad nobody makes a repop tire like that. I know I would have that nagging feeling in the back of my mind on if the tires were safe or not due to age. For shows they would probably be just fine like what Steve said.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
If I remember correctly, the Bobby Unsers were actually made by Mickey Thompson, and were just marked with his logo. I think they were the old Indy Profile MT tires, and were a bias belted tire.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Too add to the cool factor I email Bobby Unser in hopes he'd have one of these and here was his reply.

JASON,
I DON'T KNOW OF ANY TIRES (BOBBY UNSER) THAT ARE AROUND. BUT IF YOU EVER WANT TO DONATE IT TO A MUSEUM JUST LET ME KNOW & I'LL GET IT DONE.

Sincerely;
Bobby Unser

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Wow! Now that is "cool." :cool:

So..... there's another question to ponder.... :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
65 Posts
you should contact towel city racing they are making their own tires now you can get a mold made those guys are big time stock car guys i have a firestone 560x15 i found in a old junk yard different than the coker version its only 3 inches wide i want to give it to them to make copies

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's their response.

Jason,

We have a variety of molds from the 50's through the 70's that we use for both vintage tires as well as racing tire applications. For racing we produce a range of both dirt and asphalt treads while the vintage line is mainly slicks and cheater slicks with older sidewall designs. Unfortunately we don't have the ability to produce specific tire brands and/or tread designs that we around years ago. If you want to pursue the option of using some of our vintage tires in place of the L60-15 let us know and we'll be glad to answer any questions we can.

Thanks
Towel City Racing Tires

1 - 17 of 17 Posts