Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Nice. That Stubebacker was interesting. Pontiac POwer and twin sticks. Any idea why the twin sticks. Gear venders?? Mark L

·
Registered
699 Posts
Nice pics! I find that stude interesting also. My friend has a Commander in his barn. I helped him move junk away. He is an older guy and unfortunately I don't think he will be restoring it any time soon. He hasn't touched it in many years. It's mostly complete.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I was wondering the same thing Mark! Also wondering why the sticks had such a long slot in the floor to operate them?
The slot is on the "long side"..... in typical old school fashion..... if it ain't big enough make it bigger..... Opps..... still ain't big enough..... make it even bigger..... and so on, etc etc

I do see sliding dead bolts usually used for doors...... From how there are positioned over the shifter-slot I assume there are used a a "LOCK-OUT" so ONLY forward gears can be shifted into thus preventing the tranny being shifted into neutral....

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
The plate with the two notches almost seems to be loating, as it is sitting at an odd angle that makes me think it's not attached to the floor, but moves with the shiffter. Sure looks weird.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seems to me they said the rear lever was for reverse only and the strap with 2 notches pivots to act as a reverse lockout.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
WHOA!! I just looked closer and the Pontiac motor has what's called a bath tub intake. Early Pontiac engineers built this for the Super Duty 421 program, it was a near tunnel ram intake. Very rare if it is an original piece. There were some reproductions built in the early 90's but even those are hard to impossible to find. It would really be interesting to know more about it. I just looked again. They built the bath tub intake to be very responsive and streetable. If you look at the top plate on the manifold you'll see twin AFB carbs and a small one barrel carb between the AFBs. They designed that little carb in there to make it easy to tune for low rpm and the dual four barrels to kick in for top end. The motor is using the earlier ('60 to '64) water pump which is very indicative to the 421 Super Duty, and the heads are the early Pontiac heads, very possibly the Super Duty heads. That whole motor could be a museam piece Super Duty Motor. Makes me drool just to think of it. I have a friend down here that bleeds Pontiac Blue. He found and bought a speed boat with the only fully built original assembly Mickey Thompson Pontiac 421 Hemi Headed motor still in existence. Thanks for taking those pics, what an intriging car all the way around. If you ever see that again try to get the owner to come on the site. Mark L

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
That motor, if genuine, is to a Pontiac nut what a built Hemi is to a Mopar guy, or an all aluminum ZL-1 early 427 would be to a Chevy guy. Pontiacs top of the world motor at the time. Sure wished we had beaming ability like in Star Trek. I'd lock on and beam it right into my Catalina. Beam me up Scotty!!!! MArk L

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
ol blue, I hope you don't mind me sharing these pics with my Pontiac friends and their boards. I just have to let them see it. Can you tell me where th ecar show was so we can get an idea of where the car may reside? If you ever see it again can you try to find the owner and see if he will divulge more about the car, please. Maybe he'd be interested in joining our site here. Mark L

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ol blue, I hope you don't mind me sharing these pics with my Pontiac friends and their boards. I just have to let them see it. Can you tell me where th ecar show was so we can get an idea of where the car may reside? If you ever see it again can you try to find the owner and see if he will divulge more about the car, please. Maybe he'd be interested in joining our site here. Mark L
These pics were taken in Belvedere, IL and I have also seen this car at the Vintage Torque fest in Iowa. Here's a better picture from the Torque fest. From what I can make out from the sign on the engine, the heads and intake are the real deal bought from an Arnie Beswick in 1968.

Attachments

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Wow what an interesting thread, and just all started from Some pictures from a car show. Ol Blue, great shots of the Stude....
Hope you get to see the Stude and it's owner in the near future...... :D
Mark I've only had one 421 in and old Grand Prix with a factory console and gauges. The car was given to me by a neighbor when his dad purchased a new car and they wanted the Grand Prix removed from there driveway. :D :D

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
So the guy he got the equipment from is Arnie "The Farmer" Beswick. Big time Pontiac drag racer from the 60's. I am sure as soon as they get Mark on oxygen, he will chime in.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Cough cough cough, more oxygen, LOL. That is a fantastic story and happenstance. I met Arnie (top Pontiac hero of all time) sometime in the late 90's. He signed one of the pistons that he pulled out of a blown (broken, not supercharged, LOL) motor that he was having fixed at a local speed shop near my home in WI.

I was just building my turbocharged Trans Am at the time and just mentioned it to him. He was so excited about it you'd have thought I was building it for him.
My son was working there during summer break from college. This is one of the most humble and likeable racers ever born. He shook my hand and talked to me like he had known me all his life. Then he dragged me to his truck and pulled out two T shirts and a whole bunch of race promotion sheets etc. Right now the man is well into his 70's and he matchraces a mid 6 second GTO. About 8-10 years ago he had an accident at the track and the car ended up on fire. He was seriously burned, hands, face, and upper body. But he pulled thru and recovered enough to continue racing. He is qite a personality and although people do not awe me, he garners my utmost respect. I'd love to have him see my '63 now. I think he'd go nuts over it. Mark L

1 - 20 of 30 Posts