Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A lady at work started to talk about her old parents moving out of their house, and she had no clue how to get rid of the "machines" that was in the basement.. Im curious to know whenever someone talks about tools or machines, so i had to ask what kind :cool:
Well, he had a lathe, drillpres and some other "machines".
Told her i was interested, and she said i can them them all for $150 each if get them out of there.
Here are some of them:

In addition i was told there are lots of handtools there. Going over tomorrow and will try to make a good deal on as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Marius, you are like an old friend of mine. Crap just falls in your lap. I have never had the joy of getting a great find like that. Good luck, hope it works out.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Wow what a score, good for you Marius. We have to find good scores once in a while hey? Make good use of those tools. I always remember my Father-in-laws statement (he was a carpenter). "Remember, these tools were someones passion at some time. You'll never know what great things may have been made with them, but you'll always have the pride in all the great things you'll make with them".

Mark

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Marius, you are like an old friend of mine. Crap just falls in your lap. I have never had the joy of getting a great find like that. Good luck, hope it works out.
I DITTO that..... always seems like I am always just missing deals or chances to sell stuff at a "fair price" instead of practically GIVING stuff away.

Best deal I have been able to have over all these years has been the "tube chassis" which helps me feel somewhat better...... but YOUR "score" it beyond words.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got back a few hours ago.. and it took me a while to get through everything.
The 89 year old man had to tell about all the things he made with them, and how they work etc. Very interesteing actually. He had specialized in making machines to measure radon and radioactivity..wow... and he had sold thousands of them. Fairly simple tools after all, but i guess the worst part of the job was the electronics. There was other stuff in there too, small aircompressor, cutting tools, lots of steels for the lathe and mill. Tons of drillbits etc etc. All that small stuff that costs an awfull amount of money when you add it up.

So we went through it all, and then he said: So what do you think is a fair price? Well, i know what i think, but i dont know what was fair for him. And since the lady at work (his daughter) told me $150 for each of the bigger machines/tools, i said, how about $900-1000 ???
He got almost angry, and said - NO!! You pay $150 for it all, but then you have to take everything! Haha...im so happy :) This was the best deal of the year, i even stopped and bought some flowers for my wife on my way back, im THAT happy ;)

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Oh Man. A very special man there. I'd give him a hug if I were there. That's fantastic.

Mark

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Wow Marius. that's an amazing find. I never came across anything like that. Always seems everyone thinks their stuff is worth more than gold around here. Well that old man is special. And a gentleman.
good for you.
mario

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think he know what its worth ;) But im like you mmhotrod, most times i go looking for parts or tools, the prices are just too much.
I picked up most of the smaller things today, not that much of a volume, but i have spent a few hours going through it and there are lots of goodies :)
Like these aluminum boxes, can be used for electronic boxes etc,

Some drillbits etc:

Div:

More div:

These are huge;

Tapping tools, each box contains at least 5 new

Also got around 50 kilos of brass :D

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Wow Marius you really landed a great deal. I would love to go through all that stuff and just take it all in. History and technology all at your grasp now.
Have fun
Mario

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Heck, you can start a machine shop now with all that stuff. What a great find and what a nice guy. A great big GOOD FOR YOU MARIUS.

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts