Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went to our weekly "hamburger night" dinner with our buddies. It's a nice group of hot rodders, drag racers, chopper riders and their wives.

Needless to say the "loss" of the engine in my Opel has been a hot topic the past couple of weeks.

Last night one of our group said he would sell us the 331ci SBC that used to be in Chevy Monza. Before replacing it with a 383 stroker this engine had been totally rebuild and has less than 500 miles on it.

It was built with strip/max-street in mind.

As I have mentioned before our "hot rod buddies" are a close group of friends that always are there for one another. So the price for the engine (minus intake - carb & oil pan) is RIGHT!!!!

Sounds too good to be true..... only hang up for me is the motor has an 11.5 compression ratio which is a tad more than what I would have built in the 350 block (10.5) I have.

I was assured it will run OK for the limited street use I plan to drive the car.

Soooooooooo ?????????

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sounds like a no brainer. Worst thing would be, you'd have to run it on Sunoco 94 or race fuel.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Looks like you found a nice piece! What heads are on it, iron or aluminum? With aluminum you can get away with 1 point increase in compression as long as you use good fuel. How about converting your carb to E85 which has 105 octane around here. I have built quite a few engines using E85 that are running 11.0-1+ and are doing great. Just a thought. Brian

·
Administrator
13,542 Posts
Sounds great, and as Brian mentioned, even perect if the heads are aluminum. I'm running low octane regular in mine with 10:1 compression and not a sign of any detonation. I bet premium will probably be all you need if it's got aluminums. If not you could also consider an ethanol/water injection system that senses vacuum drop and injects under load to stop detonation. I'm running one on my 427 Camaro, and it also runs perfect with iron heads on regular gas.
Did it start out as a 327 or a 350 base block? 4 bolt mains?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a no brainer. Worst thing would be, you'd have to run it on Sunoco 94 or race fuel.
Looks like you found a nice piece! What heads are on it, iron or aluminum? ....... How about converting your carb to E85..... Brian
Sounds great, and as Brian mentioned, even perect if the heads are aluminum. I'm running low octane regular in mine with 10:1 compression and not a sign of any detonation. Did it start out as a 327 or a 350 base block? 4 bolt mains?
Thanks for the encouraging words.

In many ways I am stuck in a rut when it understanding what "can or can't" be done with engine compression ratios vs the panther p**s gasoline we have today.

Stuck in my head is the well used "rule of thumb" that sez that the compression ratio for a street driven machine should not exceed 10 to 1. So I am glad to hear that a higher CR ratio is doable.

I did not get a chance to see the engine or find out "everything" about it yet.

What I do know so far is the engine has quite a drag racing history.....It spent some time in a front engine dragster that currently runs at vintage nostalgia drag racing events in AA/F class.

When it was purchased by my friend he used it "as is" for awhile and then had the engine totally rebuilt..... it is bored 327 with cast heads - solid roller lifter cam, etc .... in his Chevy Monza he ran low-10's.

I will probably set it up with the 750 Holley I already have before switching over to the two 4 cross ram.

Got lots to do before that happens.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
John, That sounds like a great start. The bored 327 should serve you well. One of the best street engines I ever had, $ for $, was a .060 over four bolt with 11.5:1 pop-ups, camel hump heads, a 30-30 optional Z/28 solid lifter camshaft and an Eldelbrock tunnel ram with a pair of 600 cfm Holley's. That was in the early 70's in a '67 Chevelle. Wow! That brings back some memories! Anyway....You'll enjoy bringing that old warhorse back to life. That's kinda how I feel about my old 302 motor. Can't wait to hear it thumpin" again. :eek:

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes Bob..... the "327" takes me back a long way also. Back to days when my love for hot rodding started. It was an exciting time ..... the era of TRUE factory built hot rods. As time went on each model year brought better & better cars peaking in 1970 and then quickly (and sadly) dying when the government put an end to all of the fun.

I vividly remember those days of riding around in quite a few 55 - 61 Chevys. They were the cars most teenage hot rodders could afford and the streets were filled with them. Most of them 265-283 powered '55-57 Chevys.

In late '62 my friend got a brand new '63 Chevy Impala with the 327/300hp - 3.55 posi & 4 speed. WoW!!!! What a BIG difference between it and all other SBC block powered cars I rode/drove. I can still hear the sweet sound of the Muncie 4 speed winding up & the tires squealing!!!!

BTW: Chip Foose is hosting a show on the Velocity Channel. It is a great show that is covering all of those great cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts