Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Word has come to us that Barry Grant Inc. has ceased operations as of last Friday. The company included BG Fuel Systems, Demon Carburetion, Nitrous Works, Rush Performance Filters and Triple D Induction. The following statement was issued on the Barry Grant Inc. Facebook page:

Working with all of you has been the experience of a lifetime. The economic situation has put the company in the position of not being able to find working capital to continue operations after 26 years of business. As of today, Friday, February 18, 2011, twelve noon, we have closed all operations at our main plant and all subsidiary locations. Thank You for Your Many Years of Support.

Grant came from humble beginnings as a teenage bracket racer who developed a knack for tuning carburetors, which turned into a side business and continued to blossom into a full-time enterprise. As the carburetor business continued to grow, Grant used his experience with heavy equipment mechanics involving hydraulics and fluid transfer to develop a line of high-performance fuel pumps. Later, a line of nitrous oxide injection systems was also developed and marketed under the Nitrous Works brand.

Continued development work with fuel systems led to what was perhaps the company’s biggest venture: a line of brand-new high-performance carburetors. Demon Carburetion quickly gained recognition for using modern manufacturing techniques and innovative features to create its products, which included applications ranging from mild street cars to full race efforts. Later still, Triple D Induction was launched as a line of multi-carburetor systems, first with three two-barrel setups and then adding systems using multiple Demon 98s—Grant’s modern bolt-on alternative to the vintage-style Stromberg 97. The most unconventional offering in the Triple D lineup was the BadMan inline four-barrel carburetor the company was developing.

No doubt, the news leaves many performance fans and racers disappointed; it’s also not currently clear what, if any, support will be available for users of Barry Grant fuel system components. No further word has yet come from Barry Grant himself, who started his business back in 1984, but we’ll continue to monitor the situation and present any further developments that may unfold.

Credit to Hemmings News for this information

·
Registered
29 Posts
What A shame

Another big name American company gone. Likely they may be picked up by a foreign company so we can buy still one more thing cheaper and crappier than before. Soon we won't be known for much but McDonalds and Walmart. The Gov't can bail out a company like GM that ran it's self into the ground with the attitude that they couldn't fail and still went belly up, but a smaller business can't get a loan. Piss off Obama. Sorry to sugar coat it folks.....

·
Registered
425 Posts
Sorry to hear about Barry Grant. Hey coupe b tell it like it is. If they cant take the truth,(which they cant) let'em deal with it.

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
What a crappy deal. I've heard a similar tale from so many companies. Part of our economic problem is the US Government putting huge restrictions on the lending process, and it's affected many businesses that had a history of always repaying their operating loans, and now can't continue in the same way. I know a few local small businesses that have lost their LOC to run daily operations, and some have gone under due to that.
The guy I use for paint has banked with the same bank for 20 yrs. and lost his LOC, so he's on a hand to mouth daily basis. As people pay their body and paint bill, he pays his employees. Makes it tough on the whole operation, but he's struggling and keeping the doors open. Unfortunately many companies aren't, and are closing their doors.
I hope BG somehow comes back, even in a reduced size operation, but not if it means it's foreign owned, or mostly foreign supplied products. I'd rather see them stay closed than that alternative. Pretty sad.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to read this.

Another big name American company gone. Likely they may be picked up by a foreign company so we can buy still one more thing cheaper and crappier than before. Soon we won't be known for much but McDonalds and Walmart. The Gov't can bail out a company like GM that ran it's self into the ground with the attitude that they couldn't fail and still went belly up, but a smaller business can't get a loan. Piss off Obama. Sorry to sugar coat it folks.....
Uncle Obama did NOT bail out GM. They loaned GM the money to stay afloat. Money GM paid back before the loan was due.

Can you imagine the cascading affect of GM going under all together? Not just the GM employees. But the companies that even now supply GM.

And it was okay for Uncle Obama to bail out his friends at Fanny May & Freddy Mac. No one's crying about THAT injustice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Actually GM repaid the loan with other money that they had already received from TARP--basically repaying bailout money with other bailout money. Not money that Gm earned selling cars. And don't forget about all the GM common stockholders who lost everything. I'm not happy with Fanny and Freddy either, but that would cause even more damage than a shuttering of GM. My point is that small business is the backbone of the country and if you took the same 8.1 Billion that GM got from the Federal and Canadian government and gave it to small business owners in the form of tax breaks or low interest loans it would have amounted to 81,000 loans for 100,000 dollars each. How many jobs would that have created? We could go on all day about the injustices of Big Government, but in the end its sad all the money squandered on BS by the gov and Americans have to sit back and watch the businesses we grew up with shut their doors or move over seas.

·
Registered
33 Posts
coupebuilder
Thanks for saying what I was thinkin. How is this country going to survive when we make NOTHING anymore ?,,,touchy subject for me

·
Registered
29 Posts
Obviously for me too, I try to make anything I can so we can keep prices down and quality up, but some items we have no choice but to use foreign parts due to availability. The sad thing is that the foreign stuff is getting better, the Chinese Gov't gives tons of money to new businesses as well as tax breaks and until our own Government decides we need to have a manufacturing base again we are screwed. I tip my hat to anyone in the country who owns a small business, most of us could make more money for less headache elsewhere, but the feeling of stamping "Made in USA" on your product is a pretty good one! I think I am coming off my soapbox now, as I would rather be answering tech questions, than talking politics lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also just hate to see another "American" company go under no matter who it is. Now with that said Barry Grant was "NOT" the most customer friendly Co out there, there customer Service just sucked and today you had better be able to Put Up to Keep Up. Barry Grant's carbs ran the gamit from Very Good to Very Bad, they would not sell any replacement parts you had to send them the carb, stomach the Shipping Both ways another words with Barry Grant it was His Way and only His Way. That never bods well at any time and certainly not in these times. I think personally that Barry Grant was a victim of the times, but in there case they were there own "Victim".

Roland

·
Registered
10 Posts
The way things continue to go I can for see another Egypt comming to the USA.
Don't get me wrong this is the greatest country to live in but we must get rid of these corrupt .greedy politicians,stock market speculators, bankers,on & on
and restore the power to the people.

Who the hell gives them the right to continue to screw over the american taxpayer in the name of goverment.

Whats continuing going on just pisses me off & it isn't going to get any better
Mickey mouse Or Donald duck it does not matter who is in power because they are all in bed with each other so throw the S.O.B out of office federal & state & stop listing to there bullshit lip service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts