Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We in NJ have been told that Island Drag-way is being shut down after "50 +" years of operation. This was a great local strip in northern Jersey that was a Mom and Pop operation for so many years. The FED's and the EPA are part of this historic speed-plant closing.
I have family that were there in 1960 when it opened and the place hadn't really changed over the years for those out there who love nostalgia.
This state stinks, and it's driving automotive folks away. The track is located in Great Meadows NJ, pull it up and read for yourself.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Man that sucks. We have two drag strips here in the Phoenix area. One on the far Northwest corner (Surprise AZ) and one down on the far south side of the Phoenix area (Chandler AZ). I live about 30 minutes (18 miles) from the Northwestern one. That one is getting hassled for codes and fines for permits to "grade" the racing areas. Meaning, they have several other tracks on the property, dirt stock car track, dirt bike track, and several other dirt tracks for various race venues. The city/county has zoning laws that say every time you "grade" something, you have to get a permit. But that is meant for grading roads not a race track. So they have this crazy attack on the strip for not paying for "grading". This is causing all kinds of trouble and litigation. The other track is actrually on Indian land and the owner has had to pay "rent" for many years. They have drastically raised his rent until he has had to shut it down. So he is seekig land farther out of the city to build a whole new state of the art drag strip. But it could be two to three years before it is operational. So we'll see how this all plays out. Ihope the one close to me stays running but at least we'll eventually have one if that one goes under. But it could take years. Mark L

·
Registered
395 Posts
That is sad Steamer. I feel ya. We had a local 1/8 mi strip opened in 1966 that closed in 2007. Bracket racing took over and shut our heads up track down.:(

·
Registered
699 Posts
It sucks how our ability to enjoy Motorsports is being diminished over time. Look at how many have closed in areas like SoCal. What do they expect us to do? I guess drive a Prius and conform?

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Even the larger tracks are struggling, and the small tracks barely stay alive year to year. Our local non NHRA track is constantly fighting to keep going, and for our old cars that don't meet NHRA tech it's the last place to run.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sad to hear this. I never got the chance to get up there and check that track out. At least we still have Atco....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts