Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, with all of my moving and sitting outside in the Pittsburgh winter, my front rotors (brand new) are rust covered. The spindles made it through just fine, but all that raw metal has rust everywhere. Can I use them? What is the best way besides elbow grease to get them looking decent. I would rather not buy new ones since these are literally brand new.

·
Administrator
13,197 Posts
If they haven't pitted, then no reason not to use them. If they sit very long they'll always rust up again. The best way is to take them off and use a paint stripper pad to remove the rust, or soak them in a rust remover like naval jelly, and then clean them.
These paint stripper pads wont remove metal, and do a good job on light rust. But if they're pitted much you may need to have them turned. Sold on Amazon and Ebay for about $4-$5 each.

Once they're stripped if it's going to sit much, shoot a coat of clear over them to protect the bare steel. First time you drive it the clear will burn off the surface and then they'll rust if it sits. I clear coat rotors with high temp clear to keep the edges from rusting.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good! Thanks Vall. I am pretty sure they are not pitted but will know once I strip of the rust.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Just wanted to add to Vall’s ideas. If you have a long board sander from HF You can use that too. 100 grit will take it down nice. Keep it moving around never sitting in one spot too long. On the back is easy. Just go straight across for even sanding. Off the car of course. I did my MG flywheel like that. Came out very nice and flat. Just another 2 cents.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I will try it out. I had to buy new kingpins because they were rusted solid as I forgot the grease zerks and it botched them up, so, I have the whole front axle apart and am cleaning and covering with black rust encapsulator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts