Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never ran a mag before so I'm searching for some info about them.

I see a mag comes with or without a tach drive. I'm going to run a electric tach so where would I pick up a signal for the tach if the mag is mechanical drive ?

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
If a mag is mechanical tach drive, then you need a mechanical tach to use with it. Not sure there is a place you could connect a tach to a mag with mechanical drive.
One of the issues with using an electronic tach on any magneto is the magnetic field that screws with electronics. So if you were to hook it up to a magneto you need to use shielded cable, and also shield the magneto's magnetic field to isolate it. You need to use solid core plug wires to keep the field contained, and all the wiring going to the engine should be in a metallic raceway, or braided/shielded cover that's grounded to contain the magnetic waves. One of the early Corvette style shielded covers would work if it could be modified to fit your magneto, but the signal can still radiat from the plug wires, so it might take even further shielding of the wires most the length to keep from messing the tach signal up.
I've known people who had radios in a car with a magneto, and it's impossible to use the radio when the engine is running with all the magnetic waves disturbing the radio. They really mess up all the electronics.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll run a mallory dual point with a electronic conversion and a new swing kit in it. Old looks, modern technology !! We be jammin !!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts