Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was at the junkyard today and found a ford frame with a rockwell straight axle. It is complete and measures 61 inches from kingpin to kingpin. It has disc brakes and looks to be from a 90s econoline or super duty. It is near the scrap pile and they might not sell it to me. Depending on what they determine the price is 160 or 205. They were totally unwilling to sell anything on the actual scrap piles. That is lame because I would be paying them more than scrap value. There is also a panhard bar mounted to the axle and frame. Sound like a good deal? I know I would need to narrow it a few inches as the axle is fairly wide. Dick Landy did it back in the day! I think it might be time to pick up the real welder. This project would be for next year. The first priority is getting the car driving, but collecting the parts now is fun. Ill post pics when I get home.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are the pictures. I also found on the other side of the pile another frame with a solid axle setup.

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's out of a F350 or F450 van. Way heavy duty for your car, and not sure how you'd convert the big huge bolt pattern on the rotors. Also not sure if it could be cut and welded, as I don't know if it's forged steel, or cast steel. I'd guess cast steel, and if I was narrowing one I'd Z cut it, and have someone certified weld it. But I would wait for a lighter axle personally.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good advice. Ill wait until I find an econoline axle or equivalent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts