Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the Portland Roadster show. Can't say as we saw much that would inspire or excite us. Mostly show cars that never see the street, and a few race type vehicles that were cool.
Did see one '69 Camaro race car that had a really impressive engine! One of those 782 c.i. Sonny's hemi big block Chevys that was really impressive to just see how much larger it physically is over any stock block Chevy! I saw last fall Sonny's is coming out with a new BBC based engine that is over 1,000 c.i.! Wow! Supposed to put out over 2500 hp on 92 octane pump gas without a blower or NOS!

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I was thinking about going this weekend 'cause I'm batchin' it, but had too much to do. At least I didn't miss much. I heard about that Sonny engine coming, insane HP! Makes a big block look like a V-8 60.

Mike

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Just got back from the Portland Roadster show. Can't say as we saw much that would inspire or excite us. Mostly show cars that never see the street, and a few race type vehicles that were cool.
Did see one '69 Camaro race car that had a really impressive engine! One of those 782 c.i. Sonny's hemi big block Chevys that was really impressive to just see how much larger it physically is over any stock block Chevy! I saw last fall Sonny's is coming out with a new BBC based engine that is over 1,000 c.i.! Wow! Supposed to put out over 2500 hp on 92 octane pump gas without a blower or NOS!
Here in Pittsburgh our indoor Winter custom car show is the "World of Wheels" which traditionally has a very nice mix of both local cars of all kinds..... displays from nearby drag strips (Summit Raceway Park & Pittsburgh Raceway Park).

Always plenty of home built hot rods & backyard built gassers......

Hey Vall....... think that 782 would fit into my "wounded duck" Opel?????

I'm doing parts searching on the Internet...... tying to figure out which heads to go with...... I know what I would like to have but right now I need to find the "BEST" I can get for LESS!!!! :(

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm sure it would fit, jut not sure you want to do that much hacking, and drive with your heels against the seat! :)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure it would fit, jut not sure you want to do that much hacking, and drive with your heels against the seat! :)
You are right again Vall.

As I have said here before there are so many things I would have done differently if the Opel was being built from scratch instead of having to change/modify & retro fit everything to make the seating position and firewall placement more "driver friendly".

One would just think all I have to do is modify the firewall & move the gas & brake pedals back away from the firewall. By doing just that I would have my heels against the seat & my knees tucked up around my waist in a "fetal" position.

So to fix that all I have to do is move the seat back???? I wish it was that easy.

The back of the seat is already back as far as it can go.

To move the seat back to get the space I need I will have to move the entire roll bar (6 point). Again, I wish it was that easy!!!! The bar's main mounting plates are already against the front of the rear fender well tubs on both sides.

I am not sure about the NHRA/IHRA "rules" on modifying roll bars/cages or if I will have to scrap everything & start all over or what. The main tubes of the roll bar would have to be bent & moved "in" 5-6 inches on each side to clear the rear fender well tubs. Nothing comes easy!!!!

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's the old domino effect John! You touch one thing, then that requires another, and another, and.....;)
Been there and done that. Sometimes you weigh the result and go for it; other times I just drop it and go another direction, as it's just too much work.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Yes..... when I look at some of the things that really need to be done I feel like saying "forget about it"!!!!

With having to take some time to get the parts & money I need to build a halfway decent engine for the Opel it will give me some extra time to do some MAJOR changes which I would have probably never done (at least right now) if not for the engine blowing up so unexpectedly.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep in mind that once it's "done" you'll be looking for even the smallest things to do/change. I miss the build part of my Austin already! Now I start looking at small changes I can make to refine things. I don't want to just add things for the sake of doing something or it will look cluttered, but I want to keep doing things to make it better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts