Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Reproducing Old School Lakewood Style Roll Bars

--------Teaser pics--------We are starting to Reproducing Old School Lakewood Style Roll Bars soon. This pic is just the mock-up bar in a '69 camaro.The real roll bars will not be made from scrap pieces LOL.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
a friend of mine has one of those bars in a '55 chevy he's owned for probably 30 years !!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Definetely a '68-'70 AMX. I wonder if they would pass tech for a roll bar? Mark L

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have an original Lakewood i'm gonna be installing in my '55 before spring. I've been wondering why someone hasn't reproduced these yet. Nice job!!!

·
Administrator
13,578 Posts
In a 3 point I think the old Lakewood wont be accepted in NHRA. Some non sanctioned races will be fine with them, but usually it's on cars that run slower speeds not requiring a rollbar at all anyway.
I think they're cool, and whether they met tech or not they will add another level of safety to a street gasser, or any car that the owner wants something cool looking. I built 4 point rollbars for my Camaro and my Austin, jut for the little extra strength, and the look I wanted. Raced the Camaro for 16 years with my home built rollbar and never had any questions, but it never ran fast enough to fall into the range requiring a rollbar or rollcage.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
........ I've been wondering why someone hasn't reproduced these yet.....
Nice old school part. It's nice to be able to use "back-in-the-day" parts for that "period-correct" look.

Like Mark already mentioned I also wonder if this style of roll bar would pass "tech inspection" today.

In the "Lakewood advertisement" gasser55t posted above it mentions the roll bar "meets or exceeds" safety requirements..... back in 1972!!!! What about today????

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think that not passing today's tech standards shouldn't hurt the "sell-ability" of these bars. For someone that's building a hot street gasser, these bars will fit the bill.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
so as to sell-ability, how much $ and lead time??

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I think that not passing today's tech standards shouldn't hurt the "sell-ability" of these bars. For someone that's building a hot street gasser, these bars will fit the bill.
I TOTALLY agree!!!!

The building of "gasser style cars" spans a great deal of years dating back to the earliest days of drag racing. So it is not surprising that modifications done "back in the day" could not meet the "strict" NHRA/IHRA safety standards of today.

Unless the car is going to be drag raced on a regular basis having the "Lakewood styled" roll bar would actually be a GREAT addition for a car..... especially if it is being built with being "period correct" in mind.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I should have added to my last post the fact that IF I didn't already have an original Lakewood, I'd be up for buying one of these.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
so all we need now is an answer to my question..............

1 - 20 of 39 Posts