Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor down the street stopped by today while I was working on my Austin. He has a little A40 that inspired me to build another gasser back almost 7 years ago. He's mentioned the car had started to wander, and the steering wheel wasn't centered anymore. All scary signs of something that could be really bad!
So today we went down to his house, and I had him turn the wheel back and forth as I checked the various steering components. I immediately noticed the end of the steering shaft coming out of the column "wagging" around like a dog's tail! I used a flashlight to look up the end, but it was just empty around the shaft! No bushing, bearing, or whatever to center the shaft!
Told him we needed to pull the column and he resisted a bit, but finally gave in. We unplugged everything, and removed all the bolts, and steering joint, and out it came. Inside the end were some pieces of nylon or softer plastic. Some metal, and unknown stuff? We measured the tube, and the shaft, and headed to the hardware store. Found a steel bushing that was 1.75" OD, and 1.25" ID, then found a brass bushing that was 1.25"OD and 3/4" ID. Headed home to assemble it.
The brass bushing fit inside the steel bushing great! Pressed it in using his big 6" vise. But the ID didn't slip on the shaft with enough clearance to allow the wheel to turn easily. Chucked a 1/2 bolt up in the drill press and wrapped it with duct tape, and sticky back sandpaper. Then turned it on, and honed it out until it slid on the column.
Slipped the assembly on the column and drilled and tapped the tube and bushing for three machine screws to hold it in. Removed it, greased it up, and reassembled it into the column. Reinstalled the column and she's tight as a brand new car! Way better than the bunch of plastic and tin that fell out of the column before!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
That's awesome , Vall. Some good information for future reference. And a good deed for the day! I'd bet, when you finished, you couldn't wipe the grin off that gentleman's face with a beach towel! :D Kudos for taking the interest and time to help your neighbor! Something this world could use more of these days! :)

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Robert! I looked into the factory end bushing and couldn't see how it would ever last if used again. They are a piece of plastic with a sleeve inside, and look like much vibration, or tirning would tear them right out again.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Yea, Vall. Your observation and ingenuity probably cured that problem for a much longer time... Longevity doesn't seem to be a concern of manufacturers these days.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Nice Vall,
I never considered beefing up the shaft bushing when I shortened the column for the MG. I will keep that in mind case I have an issue.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Universals and tough angles seem to put more stress on the factory bushing Mario. So I think they fail quicker than if they were in factory situations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts