Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke down today and bought myself a mittler bros rearend narrowing kit. I purchased the entire kit for doing ford , gm and Chrysler. I have a V8 S10 that I need to do a 12 bolt for :D

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
I looked at those kits. It appears they are just to make sure the axle tubes are aligned; is that correct? You still have to have the axle shafts done by someone, as the kits don't do anything on axle shafts???

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's correct Vall, the axles have to be built somewhere else. The narrowing jig justs helps keep everything straight when narrowing the housing.

Steve did you get one from mittler bros ? How do you like yours ? Pros and cons to it ? The only thing I didn't understand that is not included are 2 locking collars to put on the outside discs to keep everything "sammiched" together. I'll have to get a couple of them made.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll post some pics of this new tooling when I get home. I'm still shoving the economy around via Mississippi River system.

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
I got mine from a fellow in Missouri, who dose nothing but build rear housings and splines axles. They don't come with tube flange tie downs ether. When you slide the the ends on the tube they hold themselves in place and you just tack them.

Vall even the fellow that did my rear housings for the past 30 years sent his axles out or would order them from Moser or Strange. So that's why I figured I may as well do my own housings instead of getting in line when I would need the rear right away sometimes.
It also gives you the opportunity to tack the rear ends in place and test fit it under the car before the finish weld. You can cut your factory axles and slide them in place and later have them splined or purchase the aftermarket ones.......

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
I have a local guy who charges $50 a tube to narrow the tubes, so I'd have to start doing a lot of narrowing before buying a jig would be profitable, or cheaper.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not looking to make money. I think a lot like Steve. Why stand in line when you can do it yourself. Although I would help a fellow gear head do a narrowing job for some cold beer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts