Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of using a Powertrax unit in my 39 coupe. Right now it has a Ford 9in 28 spline open rear end. Has anyone used a Powertrax for drag racing?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also have a spool ,but I am reluctant to install it because I use the 39 mostly on the street.I heard the Detroit locker is stronger than the Powertrax. I was hoping that someone was using one and could coment ???

·
Administrator
13,596 Posts
Im thinking of using a Powertrax unit in my 39 coupe. Right now it has a Ford 9in 28 spline open rear end. Has anyone used a Powertrax for drag racing?
Yes! I have had a Power Trax locker in my '71 Camaro for over 25 yrs. Lots of passes down the 1/4 mile, and many street miles also. I'm running it in a 8.5" 10 bolt, behind a 427 with TH350. Never had a single issue since I built this rearend. I'm running 3.42 gears, C clip eliminator kit, Dutchman axles.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Just watched Stacey David install one on the TV show called GEARS. It almost put itsef in. Looked so easy. Put it the side gears, C clip in (if they are used), put in the center units, add some small pins with springs after lining up the halves, drop in the passenger side C clip after lining up the slot for it, put in the center pin and bolt that in, rear cover, grease/gear oil, and your done. Mark L

·
Administrator
13,596 Posts
With no experience putting one in, I still got it done in 3 hrs. I had to pull it aprt when I did the C clip eliminators later, as I didn't do it all at once.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We ran about 50 of those units in police training vehicles and they were tough,but they can be noisy and lock and unlock at times after they get some hard use. I had a spool in a Nova big block .Very dangerous in the wet almost wrecked the car a few times. Took it out after it pushed me into a curb and bent the front end and broke wheel. I am presently running a Speedway posi chunk in my Morris Minor works great,very quiet and easy to drive in the rain.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've got about 22k miles on my blown sbc 41 Willys with a Detroit Locker. It works great. It drives both wheels except when cornering. then it tends to drive the inside wheel. It will squeel the big Hoosiers if I step on it too hard. It's like the noise police. haha Otherwise it works great rain or shine. I also have few miles on dirt roads.

I don't notice any noise in the car but some say they can hear it when I drive by slowly. It does have a bit of play as noted in the manual so it clunks going from forward to reverse and back again. I like to take the play out of it before stepping on it so it doesn't shock the tires and the rest of the driveline.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a PowerTrax locker in one of my Mustangs,with a 350ish hp 302 and a toploader 4-spd,and Mickey Thompson 26x10.5-15" ET Streets,which stick REALLY well.I couldn't be happier with it.Installation was not bad,and its proven to be bulletproof so far.....And I beat the heck outta that little car every time I take it out!:)

Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.