Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a thread on here any where on how to do them right? I'm going to cut the one's out on my 51 Dodge. A friend has a 39 ply that someone did and they look good. I'm going to make a card board pattern from them. It looks like they used 1/4 steel rod welded on the inside and bent the lip around it. I've heard of using conduct, and I seen the 1 on the barrel route. I want something that doesn't look wacked up. Any pics would be great.

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
You may be better off with a length of light wall tubing and slice end to end and tap gently around to opening. That may be easier for you to adjust before welding, and it supports itself in place as you are working it. There are quite a few ways to get a nice edge, each taking a bit more effort than the other.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I've used a number of methods, and I found that whether I used tubing, or solid rod, the key was to pre bend it close to the shape of the opening. I used a tire to wrap the material around, and pull it smaller than the opening radius first. Then spring it open until it fits closely. I also like a very small lip, so I use 3/16" rod on my Austin, and welded it on the outside, not inside. Easier to weld, and once welded I ground the inside edge smooth. A very light swipe with filler covered the little imperfections on the welds.
On my Falcon I wanted an opening that was radiused, but looked finished like a factory opening. I cut it round to fit the slicks, but then found a pair of front wheel opening lips off a '78 Mercedes at a junkyard, and welded them to the body to give a factory type look.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Cant beat the advice here, but I would know my final stance and tire size before I cut any thing just my 2 cents for what its worth

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Yes, always need to know what diameter tire you're going to use. Mine changed on the Austin later, and I had to find another tire that fit the opening.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I won't cut until the rear end is in, and I have rear wheels and tires. I'd like a 29 or 30 in tire. I got a 8.8 explorer rear end I'm going to narrow the 1 side, I can put 10 in wheels under it then, and if my measuring is right, they'll stick out a little less than an inch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts