Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been collecting parts for my MGA Gasser project and have a decent Ford rear end that will work against the 5.0/automatic trans. It's wider than I would like but I already own it so it's going to be the one that get's used.

Being as wide as it is, I'm planning on running with some all-wheel-drive rims from a Blazer. I already have them, they're wide, near zero off-set, aluminum, and match the Weld Wheel Front Runners pretty well. I'll have to open up the rear wheel openings to clear the wheels/tires, but I don't want the wheels hanging too far out in the wind; hence the zero off-set option.

The problem is that both the Weld Front Runners and the Blazer rims have a series of holes and rivets and don't really look as old/vintage as I'd like.

Pic of the Blazer wheels below, an opinion would help me out.

Thanks !

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
I probably wouldn't use them. I'd hold off for something older looking. I have a pair of old Centerlines I use for my wrinklewall slicks though. I masked the rim off and painted all but the last 1" of rim satin black. Didn't want to drill and screw a nice old pair of mags, and they were cheap at $50 a pair with tires.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
If your not going to narrow the rear end then just paint and use them for now, maybe find some steelies to take there place, Iam thinking about 15x8.5 steel rims for my truck to replace the baja Americans on there now, back in the 70's it was popular to have the mags up front and the competition tires and steel rims, on run what you brung nite.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
"I probably wouldn't use them."

NOT what I wanted to hear, but it's what I'm hearing in my head every time that I look at them.

Again, with this one, I'm going lo-buck start to finish so I may have to use them if nothing turns up for trade.

I WAS thinking that painting them might help lessen the 80's effect and black would be the choice for sure, and wondering about screw-on Moon Disks to hide the Weld wheels up front. I've seen them on drags cars before, Nostalgia cars and such, but not sure if they're legal on NHRA strips. If it were another car, say a '73 Camaro, then I would definitely run the somewhat matching front and rear wheels as-is, but not on a Nostalgia-Style MGA.

They ARE genuine vintage screw-on, so they aren't gonna come lose, but still . . . .

Love the look of this ride, thinking of copying the wheel treatment if possible/legal.

I have the slicks on steel wheels, but they're left over from the drag Beetle so the wheels are out:

Have a pair of these that I could paint in New Cast Steel to look like the Ol Skool spoked wheels that some of the Gassers ran up front:

And a set of four vintage slotted mags, but they're genuine Shelby's, four lug Ford rims that fit the early Mustangs, Falcons, and Comets. Probably worth more as trading material, though as they're kind of rare at this point:

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
The middle empi syle wheels would work great on the front and have that classic flavor

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
The minilite looking wheels would be great! As is, or with a different gray color center. Not sure paint in the rear would fix the look. Many of those came painted or coated black in the center also. Just looks a bit dated, or truck style design. Not that I wouldn't use them temporarily. But maybe selling them, and the 4 hole slots might garner enough funds to either narrow the rear axle, or get another pair of wheels?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys ! I'll run with the 8 spoke wheels up front, most likely done up in New Cast, maybe with vintage ET caps or something along those lines to help back-date them a bit.

Going to keep a look out for a pair of 15 inch steel wheels for the rear and have the centers "reversed" for more of a front wheel drive off-set. Paint them black and call them done.

Another problem solved !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts