Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am building a 64 Falcon Gasser. SBF power, mostly street driven. Using the Speedway kit up front. My question is how to get the added height in the rear. My springs are pretty tired and stock replacements are reasonable. My question is can I just move the perches to the top of the axle and use stock replacements? Or go to a spring shop and get a heavier spring made with more arch? Help.:confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I've looked at a zillion pics of rear setups and only saw ONE with the perches on top and I think it was a pickup so it was probably like that way stock. I still want to hear how everybody is raising the rear of their cars. Lowering the spring mounts? I still want to stick with a leaf spring. Any help? Thanks.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
OK, I've looked at a zillion pics of rear setups and only saw ONE with the perches on top and I think it was a pickup so it was probably like that way stock. I still want to hear how everybody is raising the rear of their cars. Lowering the spring mounts? I still want to stick with a leaf spring. Any help? Thanks.
If you look at my '63 Falcon gasser build, you can see what I did to raise the rear. I swapped in an 8.8" posi from a Explorer, and relocated the perches to the top side of the axle. I also replaced the tired springs with new replacement springs. Starts here:
http://www.gasserhotrods.com/forum/showthread.php?1072-63-Falcon-Futura-Gasser/page31

Everything I did for my '63 Falcon should apply to your '64, as they interchange most parts. (other than the BBC power plant) I went with a Econoline straight axle, as it was a huge savings in cost. On the rear axle, I couldn't find the perches for the larger 8.8" 3.25" tubes, so got 3" perches and ground them open the extra 1/4" needed. I bolted the rear axle under the car with everything in place, and set the pinion angle. Tightened it all down, and tacked the perches to the axle. Then unbolted it all, and removed it from the car to finish the welding.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think it depends how high you need to go. There's no problem putting your perches on top, that'll probably be 5"s or so. If you only want 2"-3" lift air shocks work great.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you are going to replace the rear leaf springs. Here is what I used on my 64 Falcon. 64-65 Mustang rear leafs are same as Falcon and much cheaper to buy. You can also buy them with 2" of lift. Like Tim said if you do axle flip you can expect at least 4"-5" of lift.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS Sooo much everybody. I see so much info dedicated to the front end, just not a lot to the rear, at least not leaf setups. If anyone has anything else, please jump in! Gota start a build thread!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK all, after you guys help and a bunch more reading I'm using HD 5 leaf Mustang springs, slightly longer shackle, and either air shocks or "loadleveler" shocks. Keeping the spring mounts on the bottom. Slapper bars also. Vall, read your build thread and WOW! Tons of great info. You do super work. Thanks all.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
OK all, after you guys help and a bunch more reading I'm using HD 5 leaf Mustang springs, slightly longer shackle, and either air shocks or "loadleveler" shocks. Keeping the spring mounts on the bottom. Slapper bars also. Vall, read your build thread and WOW! Tons of great info. You do super work. Thanks all.
Well it looks like you worked out your answers to your questions. Great job. I'm with you on the lower mount if you use slapped bars. A lot of guys here use ladder bars so top mounts would be fine. In your case you kept it below for good reason. I'm a fan of the lower mounting point. Glad you worked it out and welcome to the sight. Love the 63-64. You and Vall and sundance Rock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gotta do the build thread! I know how much I enjoy and learn from others on the sight, this is gonna be fun! Thanks again all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts