Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65 nova with stock width rear end. What is the max size slick that any other nova owners are running with out doing a mini tub?

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
If you get a piece of wood and drill two holes to match two of your rear wheel studs, you can turn the wheel and measure from the stick to any obstructions. Make the stick long enough to mimic one half the tire diameter you'll want to use. Measuring inward and outward will give you a total width. Then just minus what you want for clearance and you'll not only have tire width, but also the proper offset.
I've done it this way for years and it works perfect.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Thanks Austin that is a killer idea, I am hoping to run 7-8" pie crust slicks
Nice choice. I love those tires!!!! Pricey though.

I priced a new pair of Firestone's "cheater slicks" at the swap meet on Saturday.... $365/each ..... OUCH!!!!

Hurst (and others) are selling cheater slick recaps just like the ones made "back in the day"...... except they are on brand new radials. $385/pair ..... :)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Hurst (and others) are selling cheater slick recaps just like the ones made "back in the day"...... except they are on brand new radials. $385/pair ..... :)
Hurst doesn't use new casings on their rear slicks John. Their casings are hand picked to ensure good quality used, and they only use one brand and model. I think Cody told me they were Wrangler casings.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hurst doesn't use new casings on their rear slicks John. Their casings are hand picked to ensure good quality used, and they only use one brand and model. I think Cody told me they were Wrangler casings.
I think I read or someone told me one of the companies that make recap cheater slicks uses "Cooper Tires" for their casings. I have a hot rod buddy whose has purchased a few sets from the place in North Carolina & he has been very pleased with them.

Of course, using brand new ones are the way to go but then the price for them is WAY over-priced IMHO..... seems like anytime something becomes popular manufactures hike-up the price. Sadly, not just with the pie crust cheater slicks though. All of the nostalgia type tires are over priced. I do not mind spending a "little bit" more for something unique. In my case, especially if it is "period correct".

It doesn't have to be that way!!!!

One example of this is the retro-styled wheels being offered by Rocket Wheels..... they have the authentic look at a somewhat reasonable price. http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/rocket_wheels.asp

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
It will be a toss up Hurst ,Towelcity and M H racemaster. I want to use the brand that hooks the best.
If hooking up is your primary concern, then I would choose the M&H Drag Radial over any of the recap slicks. M&H doesn't make a traditional piecrust slick, but their Drag Radial is the best of the three when it comes to traction. It's also the only one of the three to have a DOT rating for the highway, and will not overheat at highway speeds. And they are the lightest vs. any of the reecapped tires.
I'm extremely happy with my M&H choice and have never owned a tire that hooks up as well and was street legal. They're also the cheapest of the three at around $380 a pair delivered to my door. All tires have pretty heavy shipping chagres, but recaps are VERY HEAVY, and shipping can be even more expensive for them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Drag radials on a gasser just seems wrong . I have ran M H drag tires on another car nice soft tread. J60-15 looks like a good choice for a 7" rim

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Drag radials don't look bad on a gasser. I'm running them on the Austin. The M&H drag radials are a fiberglass radial, not a steel radial, and they have a nice track pattern, with squared corners, unlike some drag radials that are rounded corners, and weird tread patterns.

But if hooking it to the track really isn't a priority, and it's more about looks, then go with one of the recaps.

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Bought the Austin 100% stock in August 2010. Built it from August to March 2011, then drove it all last summer over 3,000 miles. Tore it down again Oct. 2011 to do engine upgrades and bodywork, and had it painted in Feb. 2012.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Has anyone been running the Towel City piecrusts? And if so how have they held up? I think back in the day all of the slicks were recaps, I know Hurst, & Bruce's and others were recaps.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I remember....back in the day......a man in Black Mountain, NC had a recapping business. We used to take casings to him and he would recap them cheater slicks. Can't remember how much but I want to think it was around $20 a tire...... I sure do miss "the good ole days." :D :D

·
Registered
510 Posts
Yeah Robert I sure miss the good ol days too. I looked online at Towel City , their 15 x 10 piecrusts cheater slicks run $ 190 a piece. Not too bad considering what Summit gets for a new set of dot approved drag tires.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
I have a 65 nova with stock width rear end. What is the max size slick that any other nova owners are running with out doing a mini tub?
I remember getting a set of slicks on rims from a 63 nova the following sizes.
the weld wheel draglite rims were 15 x 8 inch wide with a 4-1/2 backspace.
The slicks that came on them were 28x9 mickey thompson et's. I sold them at a swapmeet locally quite a few years ago.
Don't take my complete word and memory but that will get you in the ball park. I don't know what gasser style rims have a 4-1/2 in back space in an 8 inch rim.
i used the same rims on my coupe before she went gasser and that offset will keep the tire under the quarter. Hope this is helpful

mario

1 - 20 of 20 Posts