Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it looks like the nine inch ford rear end is going in sooner rather than later......it one of those things that has prioritized itself.

Along with the rearend going in I might as well put it where it was going to end up anyway,,,forward of the original location. So now I am suddenly interested in doing the rear fenderwells right.

I was talking to a fellow gasser at a local 1/8 mile track yesterday and he mentioned that he has heard of a Volvo front fender that is perfect for the radius on a 31 x 10.50 pie crust cheater slick.

He had no further information,,year model etc. Been checking out lots of pictures on the net but ,,,,,,,if possible finding someone that has done this, would be the best!

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this fabrication trick before?

Of course if not, then what is the best way to go? I do remember reading about this on our forum but did not find it right away.. also have searched "volvo" on a couple of hotrod forums with no luck.

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
I'd probably start by looking in the phone book, or internet for import auto wreckers. Then make a trip there with tape measure to see how they measure up. Might also do the same at those with american cars too. Might be something that will work amongst all of them.
I scoured our pick n pull to find something for the Falcon, and used Mercedes front fender lips on mine. I made a template off my tires from cardboad, and folded it up to take along. Then I just held it up to all the cars that I was considering to see which worked best.

PS-The 1980 Volvo had a very nice round wheelwell opening with a lip. It might have the right shape, but my concern is the shape isn't everything. Those were flat sided cars, and might not fit the curved body on your Ford well without some extra work.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I think it's just about any 1970-1980s Volvo 1xx or 2xx cars. The front fenders have the lip. I was thinking about these myself but may end up with a simple 1/4" rod welded to the opening. My car is basically a slab side.

The main problem I see on your car is the body line that goes back from the wheel opening. That might make the Volvo the best choice so you can mold it into that line, kinda like Vall did his.

Found this model kit.

And this one from the HAMB

Good luck on your decision. This is the hardest decision I have to make.

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts