Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scooped up a narrowed four lug Ford rear end that I'm probably going to use for my Austin A35. I'll be re-assembling it this weekend, changing ut the bearings and seals and reinstalling the axles.

I know that it'll need filling with gear lube and will go with whatever is the best I can find, I'm wondering if I ought to use any assembly lube or gear/axle grease when installing the axles? Should I brush some lube over the R&P as well? I know to lube the bearings/axle seals and such.

Not sure at all ! Could also use a recommendation as to what brand/kind/weight gear oil I ought to pick up to fill the pumpkin with.

Thanks ! !

T

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
I never use any assembly lube on rearends. Especially not on the R&P if you're setting it up! Need those dry to do pattern checking, and get it set right. As for when it's done, I use Redline posi gear oil, but depends on the rearend what weight I run.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Yes, lube on a rearend that's being setup will really affect all the settings, and give you headaches. I've only watched and helped during rearends I've had done; but they always emphasized having everything dry to get proper settings and checks. Once it's done you could drench it in whatever you want, but I'm not sure it would help over just adding gear oil and driving it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I lube the bearings with 90 wt, pin bearings and side carrier bearings. Keep everything else dry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts