Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be doing a 46 chevy truck in a rad rod/ hot rod theme, chopped cab, shortened bed, ect. I`m going to build the chassis from scratch and the plans call for a Z`ed rear section with ladder bars and a single high arch leaf. Been thinking of going with regular leafs and some caltrac bars, thinking it might be a easier set up to do. Or maybe stick with the ladder bars and change the spring set up? Not really sure how to go about it. I dont have much chassis fab experience so even though I can follow the plans I have just fine, I dont know how to plan out the changes. I attached a pic of how the rear section should look when done according to the plans. Thanks guys.

rear truck chassis pic.jpg

·
Registered
179 Posts
What are you going to use the truck for? Do you have the chassis or are you going to buy one? If it was me I'd use the regular leafs and some caltrac bars set up.

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
If budget is a consideration, then parallel leafs are hard to beat. They can be purchased cheaper, and are easy and inexpensive, plus work well. Maybe not as cool looking as ladder bars, 4 link, or coilovers, but they work.

·
Registered
922 Posts
You're project sounds a little like the one I built a few years ago. I still have it and it's still a lot of fun to drive. I used parallel leafs from a Suzuki Samarai. They're only 40" long and work well under my 54" bed. I built a home made version of Cal Trac bars. 10" Z in the back and about 3 1/2" in the front. Here's a pic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts