Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to put my order in for all the metal stock I need to get my retro NOS gasser finished up, I have been looking and it seems that the tube bump in the back was the one to have so can any one tell me if the 3" or 4" was more prevalent, I know that they some where made to add weight, looking at pics its hard to tell, its going to be between the the the qtr. panels and I want to add sand for weight as need, or would 5" be better or look out of place

Attachments

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I am not sure what size was mostly used. Probably whatever spare pipe they had laying around. I got some pieces of pipe and used jack stands to hold them where I needed them and looked a lot from different angles to see which looked better to me. I think it ended up being 3 inch on mine that looked the best. (To me anyway)

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'm not looking for extra weight, since mine will be mostly a street car, so I'm going to be made from a piece of 4" exhaust tubing I happen to have on hand.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Back in the day they were as Mike mentioned, heavy schedule 40 pipe, and usually around 4". But today I'd make one from tubing also, as no reason to add weight with today's sticky tire options. I think exhaust tubing, or electrical EMT would be better, and cheaper. EMT sizes are odd, so a 2.5" EMT will be about 3" diameter.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I think your right sch 40 would be over kill, I went to friends house who installs carpeting, he is going to drop off some various sizes of card board tubes that carpet is rolled up on so I can play with different diameters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts