Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tomm. Id like to put in this spare engine/tranny combo that I have and see if I can raise the assy at all, Ive read that this was done back in the 60s/70s for weight distribution, I just wanna do it cause I think it would look cool.

I doubt its gonna go back any without cutting the firewall ( which Im not gonna get into ) and maybe I can only gain a couple of inches in height, we will see.

Never really gotten much into this sort of thing so wish me luck and any tips welcome.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
Raising engine height will be easy. But the transmission wont allow much of a raise without cutting and raising the tunnel. Plus you'll start screwing with driveline angles and need to be sure the angles at trans and pinion are opposite each other to avoid vibration induced issues. And don't forget the engine needs to raise straight up, or carbs will not be level and floats will become an issue.
Not as simple as just raising the motor mounts a couple inches.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reminder, its been a while since I had to think about driveshaft angle phasing, I have done quite a few projects that included that but that was some time ago. Your right on that pesky trans tunnel, I better get out the BFH :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts