Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMG_0434[1].jpg IMG_0430[1].jpg doing my rear fenders just wondering if I should flare the bottoms like in the picture or bend it in to match the original body curve

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
I sure wouldn't want the bottom flared! Looks more like a custom than a gasser. Matching the body curve would look much nicer.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I feel that following the taper/contour of the fender is not only more traditional but just better looking. I could see and accent flare at the very bottom of maybe an inch, but than it may be more work than worth. That's going to look really good once your done. Plus it strengthens the fender edge.

Mark

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is why I asked wasn't sure which way to go I do like it without the flare just have to do a little more rust repair

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
non rolled

These are the radiused wheel wells on my 53. I've always liked the non flared, flat edge look.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I have seen both. One of my friends is deep into Mopars and has a '70 Hemi Cuda that they used what looked like steel drums to make flares/radius. These things were solid! I did my '55 ones and matched the curve mostly. You can see the bend in on the lower rear. The front part is similar.

I just used round stock that I heated in a jig I built and it worked really well. Bending yours might take relief cuts but could be done.

Mike

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
I like a flat edge also, and used very small diameter rod to give my Austin radius strength without a flare at all. But I went with a "factory look" on my Falcon's radius, just because I'd seen a couple done that way, and they looked great. I'm surprised how many people think the radius on my Falcon is stock, until they see another and realize how much it's opened up.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Damm those radius wells look great....Nice work Mike on your 55, Vall on your Bird and on your 53 Steven... I would stay awwayy from bottom flared..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts