Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running the brake lines for my Catalina. I can't for the life of me remember which outlet on the master cylinder is for the front brakes and which is the rear brakes?? I think the one closest to the firewall is the front supply and the one out at the end of the cylinder is the rear brakes??? I also need to know what the outlet fitting size is. I know it is not a 3/8 Inverted Flare Male, because that fitting is too small for the opening? Is it a 1/8th NPT? I need to get a reducer so I can attach the 3/8th IFM to the master but I don't know what that is. Thanks for any help you guys can render. Man I hate getting old and uhh what's that again, Penial or something like that??? LL.

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Mark, the one in the rear of the cylinder services the front, and the front services the rear.... The fittings up front, I usually take my cylinder down to my local parts store, and have at there supply. And it seems each time I need different fittings. The reducers will have the flair for the line you will use, so I usually take a small amount of tube also. Hope this helps a bit. Now each time after I do my pluming I can rattle off the sizes, and a week later it's back to the books ! ! ! :) :)

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Ditto Steve! I do the same, and also run into the issues with remembering the sizes later. Looking forward (not!) to going through it again on the Falcon swap to dual reservoir!

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'm not sure if they are standard bolt sized threads but I know they are not tapered pipe threads. The flare on the tube is what seals the joint, the threads should stay dry.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I finally removed the master so I could take it with me. I went to every brand of parts guys, Napa, Carquest, O'Reilly, a local owner operator tha has stuff I've never seen before ( I have that place filed away for later use) and even a special clutch and brake giant shop down town Phoenix. No one had an adaptor that would fit or even a fitting of any type that would fit. I gave up. I'm going to get another master and this one is going in the scrap. I would sell it if I knew there was a fitting out there that works, but I don't want to drop the same problem onto the next guy. The special clutch and brake guy said it is as if someone machined a special sized hole into the master. He said the part numbewr on the master fits GM cars that cover many years. So I'm shoping for a pretty chrome master now. Gotta have dat shiny stuff ya no!!!! Thanks for all your help guys. Normally it might take some running around but it eventually comes together. Not this time. I was spoiled by the NAPA shop back home. They had so much old stock and bulk fittings I could make an atomic bomb if I had too, HEH. Mark L

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
I'm spoiled here! We have a company (Oil Filter Services) that has every brake, oil, and hydraulic fitting anyone could ever imagine, and in metric or standard too! What's even more amazing is the counter guys there can look at a part and tell me what size it is, and if it's metric or standard!
When I built the Austin I took my calipers, master, and wheel cylinders down to them and they put together every fitting I'd need to completely plumb the car. It cost me under $100, including three braided lines for the rear axle and front wheels. Great place, and not too spendy!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn, I'm moving to Portland! LOL. Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts