Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My OG wants me to push I want her to pull. Seriously, Was thinking dump PL and going coilover w/push-pull steering for room. Dorset's are small. Looks like it would be more room. I know more complicate, but not really. Looked at a few old pix "now". Remember a lot of guys in the late '60s early '70s going that way. Maybe even earlier. A lot Austin's, Darts, and Opel's went that way. Kadette's and GT's were were real small but runnin' Hemi's. Any thoughts? Looking to run 472 or 500 Cad.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also thought of going transverse.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Big caddy eng. start pushing the firewall back.... transverse can be done but you wont like being drug down the road like your in a shopping cart, and the cost and fab work is a lot of work and planing, coil overs will work and there is a lot of parts available, just remember nose heavy out of balance sucks no matter what

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's why big pipes with lead inside were made for rear bumpers! Showing my age?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will post pix of steering soon. SCAREY!! Even for my old ass.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Firewall already gone. Most of floor also. Think car was an old Ohio gasser. still trying to find history. To much hacked out to be a fresh '80s build like I was told. But I Bought it anyway. Somebody has to recognize it from days of yore.

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
No reason a push/pull wont work as well as a transverse. Same rules apply, so still need to keep the drag link level, regardless of direction is travels. That's usually where the people going push/pull get into trouble. Because of steering box and frame interference, they often can't get the box low enough to allow the end of the pitman arm to be level with the arm on the backing plate, and end up with a downhill angle. But if you can situate your box and arm to maintain a level drag link, you should be good. The drag link is also much shorter on push/pull, vs. transverse, so being level becomes much more important!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
My bad thought you where talking about putting a eldo drive train in as in transverse power train not steering steup

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Big Cad. motor. Maybe 4speed. But little room in little car for stick shift. Transverse spring and hairpins. That's the reason for the ? push/pull.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
It should have hit me between the eyes since I was considering doing the same thing but it looked really scary to me to

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check out Jim Oddy's car! Been runnin' transverse leaf w/hairpins for years. Check BOOBtube. Startup after 40 years W/Hemi old iron 392! Just punch his name on google. Will come up of all old and new pix.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just likeyour car.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why cant I find info or pix on coil over and hairpin straight axles? I know everybody wants to go pl, but looking for more room. An maybe lower the front.

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Might search all those old 20's-30's Ford roadsters and coupes. They almost all use the system you're looking at, and no reason the same mounts wont work for your project.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Contact Don Waldron at Rods West in Ridgecrest, Calif. 760-375-4573. He has built many Austin Gassers and repo's the Don Long axles from the late 60s such as the setup used on Jr. Thompsons Austin. Go to austinworks.com website and you'll find some cool pictures of the car! Here's a picture of the front of the car in the pits, probably at Lions. http://www.austinworks.com/gp-jt3.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts