Gasser HotRod Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Dead head rule Applies there is no real flow like a hose...when it dead heads, pressure applied remains a constant no matter what the line size flow is no longer a factor...damn plumbers.we are talking hydraulics not flow weather you have a 2" or 1" hose on your, say out side garden hose bibe, with the end of your hose closeded and depending on your area say 75psi no matter what size hose you have attached air purged the pressre will still be 75psi, unitl you start to open and create the restriction /leak..then you will see the pressure rise but a leak in a brake system not good...so I have been told...now put that on your, In' an Out" Burger, and go park your Willys and eat it.............lol

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well I will be the experiment and guinea pig. I’m gonna try the master I bought anyway. Hopefully this coming weekend I will let you know. Thanks for all the info and theory. I look at it this way. I have Malibu calipers and Malibu rear drums and Malibu proportion valve and now I have a Malibu master cyl. How can it not work out?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I think that now since you have matching parts (with the bigger bore master) it's going to work flawlessly. I believe the reason Lash and I see things differently is because that Mean Old Bastard is looking at the problem through one eye
Bone Badge Skull Font Emblem

where as this Mean Old Bastard is looking at it with two eyes ROFLMAO!!!!!
Bone Skull Font Badge Emblem

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Mario to be honest, I really don't think the master is your problem...Metic calipers came in five sizes of pistons that all bolt into the same mounts any where from 2.0 to 2.75 inchs almost all where 2.5 or upgrades 2.75 like on my truck the larger pistion will clamp down on the rotor with more force, that is if Steve thinks it is a garden hose it won't...lol...or if you ended up with Quick return calipers that could explain a lot of pedal free play...also I am guessing your brake pedal arm is to short, also there are two masters 7/8 small bore manual and 15/16 for power, the entry hole in the back will both be 1"...I am also guessing that the mount will not take the pressure needed for the larger master...just be careful when testing.. I am getting Steve a plane ticket to come to you and be the stand in front test dummy ...lol

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Mid 70’s Camaro , Malibu rotors are metric? This is a disc conversion kit for 55 Chevy truck i-beam Axle. The pedal is actually very long. To be continued! Lol

·
Administrator
13,700 Posts
Well I will be the experiment and guinea pig. I’m gonna try the master I bought anyway. Hopefully this coming weekend I will let you know. Thanks for all the info and theory. I look at it this way. I have Malibu calipers and Malibu rear drums and Malibu proportion valve and now I have a Malibu master cyl. How can it not work out?
But the one question is still do you have the same length pedal as a Malibu? The arm and ratio of the pedal needs to be correct for the manual master you have. Measure from the pivot point to the attachment point for the master cylinder rod. Then measure pivot point to center of the brake pedal. The overall length should be about 6x the first measurement, or it will take a lot more force to stop the car.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Gotta go with Vall on this one. As Archimedes said, "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." Leverage is one of the oldest theories around and that's what you're dealing with with your brake pedal.
Now Lash, remain calm. I know that anything "Greek" gets you all hot and bothered but Archimedes wasn't that kind of Greek, LOL.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I mentioned the arm length in my last post...and no Mario my reply says calipers not rotors 78 up to about 88 GM G bodies like in Malibu have metric calipers camaros are F body...you said in one of your posts that every thing is Malibu that makes them GM metric

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I mentioned the arm length in my last post...and no Mario my reply says calipers not rotors 78 up to about 88 GM G bodies like in Malibu have metric calipers camaros are F body...you said in one of your posts that every thing is Malibu that makes them GM metric
Yes I meant calipers. I went thru all my fittings and I don’t have a 1/4 tube - 9/16 tube nut nor an adapter to make it work so I ordered both 1/2 and 9/16 on ebay. I went to Summit and the shipping is a killer so I got mine from ebay shipping included. Tomorrow I will remove the pedal assembly And line up the master to the pedal or vias versa. I thought I had the master tube nuts. I had only one side. The 3/16 side. So I gots to cut the lines and put on the correct tube nuts.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know when I ordered the disc brake conversion for a '74 Nova, they designated if it was front disc / rear drum or front drum / rear drum brakes. If you want power brakes, in the past I've used on a '48 Ford F-1 street rod. 1980 dodge Colt brake booster because it is a small diameter booster and doesn't take up much room on the firewall and I believe it was 1978 Corvette master cylinder.. it bolts up together just need to ream holes a little on master. It was front disc rear drum. But Im also deer in the headlights when it comes to bore size and geometry. I just know that setup works because the old timers used it on the early street rods because the firewalls were small. I have a brand new believe for power brakes, Chevy master cylinder for disc / drum. I was going to try it on the Morris but didn't have a clue if it would work for manual brakes.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks for the update. I moved my activity over to the MG project thread.

Reactions: Morris Munster

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I know when I ordered the disc brake conversion for a '74 Nova, they designated if it was front disc / rear drum or front drum / rear drum brakes. If you want power brakes, in the past I've used on a '48 Ford F-1 street rod. 1980 dodge Colt brake booster because it is a small diameter booster and doesn't take up much room on the firewall and I believe it was 1978 Corvette master cylinder.. it bolts up together just need to ream holes a little on master. It was front disc rear drum. But Im also deer in the headlights when it comes to bore size and geometry. I just know that setup works because the old timers used it on the early street rods because the firewalls were small. I have a brand new believe for power brakes, Chevy master cylinder for disc / drum. I was going to try it on the Morris but didn't have a clue if it would work for manual brakes.
Supposedly the 78 Malibu master I bought was for manual brakes. According to the parts store. But anyway it worked great with my 70’s Camaro/ manual disc drum brakes and manual proportion valve.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts