Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an early (64 is the latest car I noticed) '60's video of Union Grove Draw-Away. My old home track. I did not start going until '69. But the unique thing about this video is, it shows two shots of a '61 Pontiac Royalty/Blue?? Ventura/Catalina racing. This is quite possibly the car that I almost bought around 1970. The owner at that time needed to sell it because of college. I met the owner and we talked and settled on a price. I had the money in his hand and he needed to give me the title, then he backed out, gave me back the money, and took off. I was devistated. It was the blue with tri colored blue interior, 425 389 tri-power, 4 speed and 4:10 gears.
The reason I think that the car in the video (and it is a stretch) is that car because, the Katzman family living in my little town of Waterford WI had that '61 Ventura and used it to pull a '61 2 door sedan with (if my memory serves me correctly) a SD 421. They used to race the first '61 when it was new before racing the 2 door sedan. If the car in the video is not the same car then it is very close and it's probably highly unlikely that is the same car. But it sure would be fun to think it was. This is the video and the first time it shows is at 1:22 and again at 2:09.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=NlsT9Zc7ca0&feature=endscreen

I just thought it would be a great coincidence if it were really it.

A side note to almost buying the car.
Later in Dec. 1974 the union in the company I worked for went on strike. We were out until May of 1975. During that strike time I got a job at a local gas station. The mechanic there turned out to be Jack Stoner, the guy that almost sold me that '61 then backed out. I didn't realize it at first until I got talking to him. Then whe I finally realized it I asked him what he did with that car, because I never saw it again. He told me that he just could not sell that car because he liked it so much. So he took it with him to college. But the 4:10s used so much gas that he could no longer afford it so he did sell it. For less than I had handed him for it.
If you watch the video also watch for the EL BOL'Airo '62 bubble top Chevy. It's designated as a B/Gas class car.

Mark L

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Nice video Markus HasDraggedaLot.....

You mentioned another example of how our lives have had "similar" twists & turns.... I was also "on strike" starting in late '69 until Feb '70 (101 days) when I worked for GE. Hard just started working there in April of '69. I also ended up working at a gas station. Around here all of the gas stations still offered "full service" so it was a LONG WINTER. Every time it got COLD and especially when it was COLD with SNOW practically everyone wanted the oil, transmission fluid, anti-freeze, windshield wiper fluid & air pressure in all of the tires checked when they got gas. Often when only getting ONE DOLLAR of gas.... L o L !!!!! Plus the owner of the gas station was not a good person to work for. Those were the days!!!! Ha!!!!

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Great video, and a lot of classic iron in it! I too had a similar incident in 1971. I was looking at trading my '57 Chevy off for a '68 Z28 Camaro at a local Dodge dealer's lot. Beautiful red Z28 with black stripes and 4 speed, plus the 302 engine! We agreed on price, and the salesman went to get VIN numbers for the paperwork. He came back a few minutes later and ripped up the contract in front of me! Said some lady had just paid cash for it as a graduation present for her son. {spoiled brat!)
The good news was he felt bad for me, and called me a week later to ask if I was interested in a '67 Chevelle SS 283/4 speed car. Not a Z28 Camaro, but they sold it to me for $1050, which was $50 more than they allowed on the trade in. I loved the Chevelle, and was never sorry I bought it.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See, we are all kindred souls. Much the same paths in life. I love the old stories and always enjoy reading/hearing about them. Since moving down here I've become friends with a great older gentleman. He's in his '70's and has lived and been all over the country. LA, Chicago, out east, here and he's a military vet. Worked for several big name aftermarket companies, like Heddman hedders. He's also a Pontiac guy since way, way back. Especially during the Super Duty days. He can even recite the drive shaft lengths of each individual '60's Ponitac Catalinas/Bonnevilles etc with every possible trans combination. He pops off into a story every once in a while and I just set back and draw it all in. It's a pleasure and privilage to have him as a friend. As it is with all of you guys. Mark L

1 - 5 of 5 Posts