Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being closed down due to restrictions since 2019, the two big Portland Swap meets will be back on this year! I bought my '39 Chev project back in April of 2019 at the race track PIR side.
PIR starts tomorrow and goes through Sat. and the Expo Center starts Fri. and goes through Sun. Expect to walk about 8-9 miles at PIR to see it all, and about 5-6 miles to see everything at Expo. I'm trying something new at PIR and taking my bicycle with a two wheel cart behind this year. Expo doesn't allow any bikes or scooters (except handicapped) but hopefully not walking PIR will make the 2nd day easier to walk on Friday!

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was really going to try and get there this year, but, as usual, NO. Have a great time, by some fun stuff!
Didn't find a thing today except a B&M shifter for a 700R4. But didn't get that either as seller was stuck on his price.
Hopefully tomorrow will bring something to buy! The bicycle really worked out great though! Sometimes I walked it when the booths were packed together. Then rode it to the next area, or places I wanted to backtrack. No sore feet or knees at all today! Expo tomorrow wont allow bikes, so have to walk it.

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Swap meet at the Expo Center this morning. Started out much like the PIR meet yesterday, but then got much better quickly after doing the front outside portion. Once inside the first of 4 buildings I found a Hurst competition plus shifter that had seen much better days asking $40. What I really wanted was the tall chrome handle it had, and mentioned that to the seller. He asked what I was offering, and I told him $20. He grabbed a 9/16" wrench and it was off in seconds.
Later I walked past another booth and the guy had two nice restored steering wheels. One was for a Ford, so not interested, but the other was a '53 Chevy all restored, painted black, and complete with the original chrome horn ring in great shape. He even had all the bits for inside the horn assembly. Asking $150, and took my $100 offer with no hesitation.
Outside in the back parking lot I came across a brand new in the box TCI Trans shifter marked $125. They're only $200-$250 new, so I offered $100, and he took the offer. Next door was a booth with a box marked $1 each. Inside was a new chrome master cylinder cover to fit my Corvette master in the'39, so for a buck I grabbed that too!
Was a great swap meet, and found things I wanted, plus stuff I could use too.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Glad it worked out Vall. You seem to always find good stuff on your hunts. Make sure and run a straight edge on that Corvette master cylinder cover. Sometimes when they don't seal right they get taken to the swap meet to pass on the leak. (Don't ask)

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad it worked out Vall. You seem to always find good stuff on your hunts. Make sure and run a straight edge on that Corvette master cylinder cover. Sometimes when they don't seal right they get taken to the swap meet to pass on the leak. (Don't ask)
Thanks Mike! Never would have thought about that since it's brand new. I'll certainly check it now!

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it's flat Mike, but doesn't fit well on my master. Slightly short in length end to end, so have to sort of pop it in place. I could live with that, but it's also shorter in height, so my two bails don't hold it very tight. So it's going in my box of "I'll never use" parts. Good thing it was only a buck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts