Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting close to time for the big swap meet at Portland Intnl. Raceway, and Expo Center! April 3-6, 2014. It covers two venues within sight of each other. PIR starts on the 3rd, and goes through the 5th, while Expo starts on the 4th and goes through the 6th.
If you walk briskly, and don't stop too long you can get through each in one day per event! PIR is stretched out over the entire drag strip/ road coarse, plus all the infield area. Expo takes up all four buildings, plus all the parking lots, so have to park elsewhere and shuttle to the event.
Miles of car parts, cars, and projects to buy! I look forward to this event from the time it's over the year before!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Have fun..... swap meets around here do not start until mid-April. Always a fun time even when we don't find many things.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My wish list is short, but still looking for some skinny 15's that will go on the front of the Falcon!

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For anyone who lives in distance of going, here's some trivia! The PIR swap meet is on 290 acres of property, and the swap meet takes up about 200 acres of that! The Expo part of the swap meet is over 200,000 sq. ft. of indoor building space, and 500,000 sq. ft. of outdoor stalls and spaces!
Be prepared for a lot of walking! Don't forget the ibuprofen, or whatever your favorite pain killer is for sore legs and feet!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I plan on being there. I will need to meet up with you Val. I plan on driving down Sat AM and staying the day. Be leaving my place at 0500 so it will be a long day for me. Anyone else going? I am looking for a set of skinny mags for the front of my Stude. 5 on 4 3/4 chevy pattern.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I have gone looking for certain specific items for my projects & more often than not end up NOT finding what I wanted.... only to find other things instead.

Then there are times I have money and find next to nothing..... then other times have just a little money to spend & we find all kinds of thing I want.

You never know what you will find..... or NOT find. Just part of the fun of being a backyard hot rodder !!!!!

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I plan on being there. I will need to meet up with you Val. I plan on driving down Sat AM and staying the day. Be leaving my place at 0500 so it will be a long day for me. Anyone else going? I am looking for a set of skinny mags for the front of my Stude. 5 on 4 3/4 chevy pattern.
Looking forward to meeting you! We will be hitting PIR on Thu. and Expo on Fri., so recuperating on the weekend. The first day is painful, and the 2nd day is nearly impossible to get my feet moving! Not looking for much this year, and that's usually when all sorts of good things pop up that I can't use! Last year I had a huge list of things I wanted for the Falcon, and amazingly filled all 13-14 items on the list! This year the only thing I'm looking for is the same as you, a narrow pair of wheels to match what I have on the Falcon now, or go with what I have. Narrow Torq Thrust type wheels are impossible to find, and usually more than I want to spend!

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have gone looking for certain specific items for my projects & more often than not end up NOT finding what I wanted.... only to find other things instead.

Then there are times I have money and find next to nothing..... then other times have just a little money to spend & we find all kinds of thing I want.

You never know what you will find..... or NOT find. Just part of the fun of being a backyard hot rodder !!!!!
That's usually the way it goes for me too! Heading to a small swap meet this Sat., but usually don't find much there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This will be our first time at the Portland Swap Meet. We will be arriving up there late Thursday night and going to the swap meet on Friday and Saturday. Is there one area or the other that we should hit first?

Keith

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
By-passed the first swap meet of the season. After a nice day yesterday..... Heavy rain & wind in afternoon turned into colder temps & SNOW on the ground in the morning.

Plus the "twins" slept over so didn't even think to go. Heard from friends the turn out of both sellers & buyers was bad. Another local swap meet is next Sunday at South Park Fairgrounds. All venders indoors. Have had some good finds there in the past.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Both sides are fun. I will be on the PIR side - look for the green '56 Pontiac on the trailer - Thursday to Saturday. I like this side best because it is mainly parts and some cars. The EXPO seems to have more vendors (retail) and cars. If you are quick you can do both but you will miss so much. Need a day each.

Most of the good stuff I find is on Thursday.

Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks, Mike that helps a bunch. I'm sure we will be more interested in the PIR side. I think we will start there on Friday and if we miss some of it we can go back Saturday. Fortunately we have two full days to see the swap meet. We didn't know that the swap meet started on Thursday and we planned this a couple months ago. There are seven of us coming up from the San Francisco Bay Area together and our schedules won't let us come up earlier at this point. We will keep an eye out for you and your Pontiac.

Keith

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, Mike that helps a bunch. I'm sure we will be more interested in the PIR side. I think we will start there on Friday and if we miss some of it we can go back Saturday. Fortunately we have two full days to see the swap meet. We didn't know that the swap meet started on Thursday and we planned this a couple months ago. There are seven of us coming up from the San Francisco Bay Area together and our schedules won't let us come up earlier at this point. We will keep an eye out for you and your Pontiac.

Keith
One thing to consider is that Expo opens Fri., so if you hit it first you'll be going in on the first day. If you hit PIR first you'll be going in the second day, and then the next day you'll be the second day for Expo too. A lot of good buys go out the gates the first day of each meet. Not sure I'd want too hit PIR the 3rd day though, so I don't envy you the decision.
I'm sure you guys will love it all anyway! Can't imagine how much fun it would be with 7 guys together! Always fun to see what all my friends find when we go together!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
For you guys getting to go to PIR...

Come see Billetproof at the
Portland Swap Meet
April 4-6, 2104

Stop in and say howdy! We'll have great deals on Billetproof merchandise and the first 50 to register for Billetproof NW or the Hot Rod Eruption 2014 get a free Billetpoof DVD! Expo Center, Building D, Spaces 3030-3031.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Out group had a great time at PRI today. We bought a pickup load so I would have to say it has been successful already.

Keith

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For you guys getting to go to PIR...

Come see Billetproof at the
Portland Swap Meet
April 4-6, 2104

Stop in and say howdy! We'll have great deals on Billetproof merchandise and the first 50 to register for Billetproof NW or the Hot Rod Eruption 2014 get a free Billetpoof DVD! Expo Center, Building D, Spaces 3030-3031.
Mike, were you there at the Billetproof booth? Wish I had seen this post earlier, as I sure would have enjoyed meeting you and visiting! I didn't even see the Billetproof booth. Guess I was on autopilot by that time!

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Out group had a great time at PRI today. We bought a pickup load so I would have to say it has been successful already.

Keith
Good to hear you did well Keith! I didn't buy much, but my two friends made up for what I didn't get!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
No, but I get their emails and saw that they were going to be there. Thought maybe you might try and get there early enough to get some goodies.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
It was a good event. Didn't sell the Pontiac but did sell a bunch of stuff I didn't need and earned a few hundred bucks... made new friends... talked BS for 3 days... got wind windburned and muddy... and had a blast. Met up with a car guy, Steve Averre, from Longview that I have known since 1983 when I bought my '55 bug from him. Good to get back in touch with old friends too.

Did find a nice tailgate for my '59 GMC Fleetside for $40, a couple nearly new 165SR15 radial tires for the front of my '55 for $20, and an air powered grease gun (with the 5 gal bucket full of grease) for $50.

Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts