Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
100_3708.jpg 100_3711.jpg 100_3710.jpg I saw on line this picture of a stand made from PVC for painting door jambs and the doors off the car if you needed. I failed to make a copy of the website or keep a photo. So I drew up some plans of what I think it was. A friend donated some 1 1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe to me. I had the cement and cleaner already, so I was only out $12 for the fittings. I picked up two 90 degree elbows and four t's. I cut everything to match my measurements and made sure they all fit together and that the design would work.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
100_3715.jpg 100_3718.jpg 100_3717.jpg 100_3713.jpg I put the legs and fittings together for the front of the piece. I measured an angle for the front legs to lean back and then moved the t's toward the rear of the front legs to about 15 degrees. That gave me about 30 degrees seperation between the two legs. This provided me a setup similiar to a sandwich board. I was going to leave the back legs uncemented so I could knock it down and put it away when not in use. But I got carried away with the PVC cleaner and the legs would not go in very well after that and I had a terrible time getting them back out, so I just went ahead and cemented them in too. I think if you were to go any further apart on the angle for the legs that they might collapse. I did brace the back legs against something on the floor just in case. I put my door on it and it held. I think my doors probably weigh around 40 pounds. I will put some roll bar padding on the bottom feet where the door rests and on the sides and top where the door rests up against it. I think it will work for what I need, It wasn't very expensive and I couldn't afford a metal professional paint stand. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Great idea! My shop air system is PVC holds 180 PSI..

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Might add some lightweight jack chain between the lower legs to keep the PVC from flexing or spreading under load also. I made some like that once also Mike, and had issues with weight, but the chain fixed it. I used a die grinder with rotary file to open up the T's so they could actually slide over the tubing without cutting it. It lets them fold easy, and helps in storage too.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Maddog3299, Thanks, I just bought a paint gun and am getting going on the paint stuff,,I have been thinking about buying some of those stands,,,Now I am going to make a set of PVC stands, for sure.

56 VIC Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts