Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking for some good hard facts on how to polish an old set of aluminum wheels. I have the D shape aluminum slots made by ARE and they are pretty crusty. I can tune my blast cabinet down to knock the white rust of them but I'm uncertain of the direction I would need to take from there. Mods feel free to move this if it needs relocated.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
I had a similar problem when I bought the slots for my Austin, but added difficulty that the seller had one NOS, and one crusty wheel, so had to match the finish.
Mine was so crusty that after knocking off the worst of it with a brass wire wheel, I had to sand it to get it smooth. Since I didn't have a lathe large enough I used another car with the same bolt pattern. After giving the wheel a quick sanding by hand, I mounted it on the car's rear axle and started the car up on jack stands. I started with 180 grit, and gradually worked it down to 320 grit in steps.
Once I had it smooth I used Mother's mag wheel paste to polish it out. I think a nice motorized polished with muslin wheels would have been a real time saver, as that's what the pros use after sanding. They use various grits of polishing stick on the hard muslin wheels until it gets well polished, then change to soft muslin wheels and soft paste polish, finishing with just a clean buffing wheel.
The polishing motors the pros use are a long straight shaft usually, not angle buffers. The straight shaft with cones, or various flat wheels will get everywhere once the initial sanding is done. It can be done with a drill motor and buffer attachments also, and works well, just a bit slower.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok Vall I'm a little cornfused. However I like your ingenuity bolting the wheel on the car for a polish job. What is a muslin wheel ? I bought myself a buffer and different buffing wheels and stick compounds of different flavors. Maybe I need to find some cones and/or ball shaped buffing thingys for my buffer ? I haven't had time to take the buffer out of the box nor build a stand for it. This damned job keeps me away from my shop way too much.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Muslin wheels are the layered white cloth wheels. Depending on how close they are stitched, and how many plies, will determine how hard they are. The loosely sewn wheels do final buffing, and closely sewn hard wheels for cutting and getting the metal smooth.
Here's some pics:
Hard muslin-

And a variety from soft, medium, to hard:
https://www.google.com/search?q=med..._jFMyGoQSpp4HwBQ&ved=0CEcQsAQ&biw=951&bih=446

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I have some of those. Grabbed a stack of assorted wheels when I bought my buffer. Picked up some different sticks of compound now if I can learn to use this stuff without ruining parts I'll be in good shape.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just used 320 da pad on my da sander set on single orbit to sand scratches and machine marks off wheels then switched to 1200 grit for start polish. I used buffer wheel on my die grinder and polishing compound To get result in pictures. I can get better pictures if you need them

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Steve ! I sent the chap an email to see what he charges to do wheels and what the turn around time would be. I wanna get them shining and the pie crusts mounted so you can get my car done for me next week. :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I just got an email from the chap,he's not polishing wheels right now. So I must carry on !!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts