Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

As I'm working the bugs out of my new build, I'm noticing that my fuel cell is literally sinking in at the top. I'm curious if anyone has experience with this. First off, my tank is vented, and should not be creating a vacuum to cause this (plus, the engine is not suffering from any fuel starvation issues). My guess is heat. there's only a fiberglass trunk lid over this and I'm here in sunny socal. Polyethylene plastic is already soft, and I'm sure with heat it'll be really soft. but this is just a guess, hence my posting this here.

My fuel gauge is now acting up, too, where it wasn't doing this before. Since it's attached at the top of the tank, my guess is- specifically going to E on acceleration despite it being a full tank.

I can always get an aluminum tank, but before I knee jerk react and do that, I thought I'd post here first for other thoughts on this. Thanks!!

re: pics- note the gaps underneath the straps. it wasn't like this before...

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I have a fairly expensive Harwood plastic fuel cell in my Austin, and the top is sunk in more than yours is. Of course it's 11 years old, so I expect it would be sunk in more. Never hurt anything, and my gauge/sender work perfectly.
Now my '39 is an aluminum and flat, but my sender acts up often. It goes from full to empty in half a tank. And sometimes empty is at 1/4 tank, while other times it goes all the way to E. I just make sure whenever it gets to 1/4 tank to fill it. PITA considering it's a 12 gal. cell, so often only needs 6 gal. of gas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts