Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...removed a few rear springs and rotated the front leaf perches to get a 4inch drop to the rear of my truck ( this unit has the rear end mounted BELOW the springs). I n doing so, the pinion now has a positive angle of 10 degrees. i have heard that I should have a equal yet opposite angle of that of my motor/trans, which is at 3 degrees. With that , I am curious to how to remove 13 degrees. The only "wedges" I have found are for 2 or 4 degrees. Is this a "make my own" situation?..start stacking up the store bought? OR....start over and mount the rear end above the springs, thus creating a whole bunch of work, but being able to utilize a more conveinent approach. Any help here is GREATLY appreciated..thanks in advance

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Summit has 6 degree shims, which should get you close enough. They are 2.5" wide, so if you've got narrower springs you'll need to just grind a notch in the sides with a grinder to clear the U bolts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
hey.. re vamping my engine situation.. tailshaft of trans going downhill 5 degrees...pumpkin, going uphill 4 degrees... 1 degree only deflection o.k.? thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
gonna have to purchase a digital to make sure..these things ARE hard to read...guessing 30.00 is not a bad price for accuracy and piece of mind.
I got one at Harbor freight. magnetic base. Worked fine.

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
I have 3 of the HF dial scale types. Never tried a digital as I'm just not that anal about those angles, and haven't found a digital needed for my builds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts