Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pete Davis Distributor Testing machine

This video shows how bad a stock HEI fires. Pete also uses compressed air pressure around the spark to simulate disturbance in the cylinder when running.
Sorry I spun the camera sideways but I wanted to show the rpm and the plug firing at the same time. Pete is a genius. We could all learn from his experiences.
He also does work on the side for customers who need help with their ignition systems. He amazes me every time I visit him. I learn something every time I visit.
truly amazing.

Pete Davis used to race at National Speedway on Long Island back in the 60's and 70's
He is a wealth of knowledge and a great teacher. His experience will blow you away.

This is pete in his Anglia back in the day.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
So is he proving the HEI wont fire above 5,000 rpm,s? Does he improve them to work better, or is there just no fix for a factory HEI?

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He said module change can bring it up higher. How high I'm not sure but I can ask him. Don't forget the hei is bushed and not a bearing shaft so it won't be as accurate in the upper rpms. I'm sure he can modify stock units.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If memory serves me, all the stock points distributors in GM cars were also bushed. Weren't they?
Yes the delco points units are also bushed. Honestly unless someone can correct me the points unit with Msd is actually a better ignition than the hei with Msd. I have heard stories of some working fine up to 8,000 rpm.
mm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts