Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently started a Gasser project and am in the very early stages of acquiring parts... I am new to the Gasser scene however have been building muscle cars my entire life. I am not super acquainted with all things Gasser and could use some pointers here and there.

My first question is regarding the Tranny. I am trying to keep this close to period correct but want it to be family friendly. Taking my wife and daughter with me on cruises and to shows is very important to me as I want my child raised around classic vehicles. A friend was telling me that he seems to remember a lot of Gassers running a 3 speed manual. In the muscle car world we ditched the 3 speeds whenever possible. Am I correct to think that the same would be for a Gasser?

Thanks guys,
Travis

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I think your friend might be wrong. In the old days gassers either ran a 4 speed manual, or an old 4 speed hydro stick automatics. Mostly B&M, with Cal-Hydro, and Hydro-Motive also popular. I just went with a TH350, and a manual shift kit, then stuck the old B&M Hydro Stick decals on for fun!
People wont know what tranny you're running anyway, but they will see the shifter. So if you want it to look period just run a period shifter on whatever trans you choose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts