Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would drop a line here and let everybody know that Patriot has "redesigned" their BBC/tri-five fenderwell headers on the #5 tube and they will not fit a stock suspension/ steering box setup. I don't care where you put the motor, unless it's upside down or inside the car, they ain't fittin. I am doing an axle later on and luckily had my chassis headers, so I'm not completely stuck, but it would really suck for anybody that dosen't have plans for a relocated steering box. I talked to one of their tech guys and they told me that they have never had any feedback of this nature. I personally know of at least 7 people dealing with this problem right now. Bad business on Patriot's part if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. They are reasonably priced so I'm sure they sell a ton of them. You would think that they would know/tell what the exceptions are when installing them in the car that they are made for. A tri-5 fenderwell header for a big block that won't fit except for a totally custom front frame/suspension built around those headers? Bad idea. They should have been as universal as possible.

Hopefully because you took the time to give them some feedback the changes will be made. Good job!

Mike

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
I wonder what car they mocked their headers up on originally that they fit? Normally all header manufacturers mock their prototypes up on some vehicle to figure out where they might have clearance issues. Either they used a modified vehicle, or they used some 3D program that was in error.
I've always liked Patriot as an inexpensive option to others. I've seen some more expensive brands that had fitment issues. Jeff's 1956 Chevy had some real clearance issues with Hooker fenderwell headers, and they would have been even worse if we hadn't installed his new engine 1" forward! They wouldn't clear the inner fenderwells at the back, and we had to totally cut them out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is what makes absolutely no sense to me guys. They WOULD work with the old design, but they changed that #5 tube to where it takes up ALL of the space where the steering box is. The #5 tube used to come straight up like the #7. Now, these headers are very well made and I was very surprised with the quality when I got them. I will be using them when I do the axle, and will be happy to have them. Still, the tech guy told me the engine wasn't back far enough. The passenger side header will go on, and is 1" from hitting the front body mount, and the firewall is clearanced. How much furter back can it go without recessing it into the car? Then it isn't far enough forward. Well, I have 28" tall tires and the tube is already very close to them where the engine is, and I would have to bring it 6" forward to even get close to fitting, and we all know about oil pan clearance with a BBC in a tri five with stock steering.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts