Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that there is not much info on rear leaf spring setups,I realize they are pretty straightforward , but info on,or pics on best arrangements would be super helpful,a thread on usable swaps would be great!

·
Registered
922 Posts
On another build, I used Suzuki Samarai rear springs. They were about 40" center to center and pretty much straight when loaded, and 2" wide. They have an overload leaf that wasn't needed in my application. That's about all I can contribute other than just go to a junkyard and measure some up. Modern cars don't have much for narrow springs, if you're thinking of using stock mounts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you think about a mono leaf caravan spring and ladders bars ,they are 53" center to center , completely bolted in to van ?

·
Administrator
13,420 Posts
Unless the car is pretty darn light, I wouldn't consider a transverse carriage spring like early Fords used. You'll also need to usually spring for a pair of coilover shocks to stabilize the rear, and eliminate body roll on slightly heavier vehicles. Better to just go trailing arms and Coilovers, or traditional parallel leafs and shocks.
I see lots of inexpensive ladder bars for sale, and combined with a good used pair of coilover shocks from an import, it would make a decent rear setup. The older 60's Chevy truck trailing arms were very popular for drag cars, and various street rods, but are getting tough to find, and not so cheap anymore.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am sorry ,I will try to b more clear when I post,it sounded right in my head! The DoDge caravan are parallel leaf ,just single leaf each side.
It weighs roughly the same as my ford , and the ford will just have a sheet metal interior,all the cars I have been in with a short multi leaf pack have been somewhat harsh. My original plan was for a 9 inch , but Today I scored a dana 60 with a locker and 410s and ladder bars ,so easy decision?
George

·
Registered
922 Posts
With ladder bars and parallel leafs, you'll either have to mount the axle to the springs on a slider or link the front of the ladder bars to the frame with shackles to prevent bind. Even then, the ladder bars and axle housing become an anti-roll bar and bumps or dips hit with the wheels on one side will be harsh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts