Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys.... I'm building a 64 Fairlane and I used a speedway front axle kit, a couple buddies mentioned that I need to run a panhard bar on the front axle.. I cant say that I have seen a whole lot of them on the older gasser cars but maybe that's why they were a little on the squirley side ? The car will be mostly driven on the street but will see some track time periodically.. anyone have some suggestions ? thanks

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
It all depends on the length of the panhard bar and the amount of front end travel. The less travel you experience under normal driving situations the less it will affect you. If you do a lot of hard acceleration with longer travel you may feel a little wavering in the front end during travel but I've never driven or even road in a car with a front panhard bar so I really don't know how much it would feel. The guy that I have welding all my important welds builds Hot Rod chassis and he has one on his rod front end. But he has almost zero front travel so he says it does not affect the feel at all. If you do it I would be very interested in your appraisal of it.

Mark

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have one on my buggy sprung '36 Ford pickup and I plan to run one on my Henry J w/parallel leafs. I've got my shackles on the steering side of the axle so I hope it prevents side loading the shackles on turns.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input guys, I think im going to install the bar now, its alot easier to install it now while building everything else vs trying to install once the car is complete.. thanks

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
I've done a few straight axle cars (about 8 I think) and never used a panhard bar. I would think a panhard bar would be more important on a very high car, as the taller the front is, the more lateral force would be subjected to the leaf springs. On the average gasser or straight axle car there's not a lot of lateral force, so a panhard bar isn't needed to locate the front axle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts