Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
13,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got tired of the huge cable bills a couple years ago, and canceled it. Then I installed a UHF antenna, and we got about 45 channels free, but very little car shows, or sports, unless it was on one of the networks. Missed some stuff, but didn't miss the cable crap shows, or the $135 a month bill for basic cable.
This morning our 50" TV took a dump, so we headed to Costco and bought a Samsung 55" TV. Came home, and plugged it in, and to my surprise it did almost everything to set itself up, once I entered our internet password for the computer. Then it shut off, and restarted, and things got very interesting!
When it came back on we had the same 45 channels we had before, but I hit "guide" and it showed channels from 1000 to 1569 that it appeared we also had! Checking them out showed we truly did have all those channels, and for free! Stuff like Power Nation, Thunder Drags from Australia, MAV Motor Sports TV, and a bunch of other car programming. Plus a huge amount of programming we never had even with cable TV!
All for under $400 for the TV, and no other costs. I'm kinda confused how this all works, but I'm also going to be binging on car shows now too!

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Vall how often did you rescan the old Tv? I have a huge annteena and get a lot of channels...But I rescan every few weeks and it seems like I always get a new one...kind of like Sling TV but without paying the yearly fee, I watch library movies the most....

·
Administrator
13,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vall how often did you rescan the old Tv? I have a huge antenna and get a lot of channels...But I rescan every few weeks and it seems like I always get a new one...kind of like Sling TV but without paying the yearly fee, I watch library movies the most....
Probably re-scanned the old TV every couple months, but often we lost channels if they weren't coming in strong before the scan. But our old TV didn't have wifi, and wasn't internet connected, unless I ran a cable from our internet box to the TV, or from my computer to the TV. We bought it on sale when all the new technology became common, and didn't realize that's why it was on sale! So this time I did a little reading prior to buying, and made sure it had the good stuff.
But this morning I went to watch a local channel on our antenna and it said we had no signal. I went to "auto program" and ran it through to scan the antenna "air' channels, and it's picking up those also now. It was picking up many of them that were on the internet, just didn't notice not all of them before today.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts