Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
i think that axle is for a transverse leaf. See if you can find an Econoline or Chevy Van axle, they seem the best for size and options. It's been so long since I researched it I don't remember what stockies work best. I think it was like '56 and later Chevy truck along with the two I listed above. I guess any full size car buggy spring setup would probably work from the 30's on.

I like the Speedway kit, especially now with the optional widths and brakes. It's clean and new. If you plan to lift the front (WHEELIES!!!!) probably should look for a stronger axle.

Good luck with the search.

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
I'd pass on any transverse spring axle. I'd also not buy a bare axle, as the parts will add up quickly and you'll be into it a lot, even if the axle was free to start. '55-'59 Chevy truck is often used, but '49-'54 are also pretty close, just not quite parallel with the springs close together in ffront than back.
The Econoline, or Greebriar van axles are best because they're not only newer, but already 5 lug. The Dodge van I think is also a straight axle, but they're pretty hard to find!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm just throwing some ideas out there since looking for a front axle is a new thing. I do know a Ford guy in town who build hotrods and other cars. I will see if he knows where to source an econoline axle. I just thought about it today as I drove by his shop. I do like the speedway kit also. I was just trying to find an original axle. I'll stay away from anything that is not complete.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I talked to the local Ford Guru today. I asked him if he had seen any econline axles. He said "you building a gasser?" Yep! He said he hadn't seen an axle for that application in years. He used to have some but they have all been used. The last gasser build he did he used a speedway kit. He talked highly of it and his buddy popped the catalog out so we could look it over. He was also rebuilding his flathead today for his roadster. Putting a Merc Crank in and merc pistons to give himself about 10 more cubes. I wish the shop was closer so I could go check out what he is doing more often and learn about the older stuff.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I love the look of the older axles but I think the next one I do will be a Speedway setup. Most of the hard stuff is already done and less fab work in the long run it seems. For the price you can't beat it. Plus it comes with disc brakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you guys seen the axles under the Jeep Cherokee 2WD from 84 to 2000?
They don't have a drop but are very strong for wheels-up launches. They are pretty cheap and have the very common 5 X 4.50" pattern and disc brakes.
I'm going to pick one up for my Dart just to see.

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
I've got a couple friends who put them in their cars. They are very strong, and cheap as you mentioned. There are only a couple drawbacks, but they aren't a big deal to me. They need to use different springs in a gasser, as they're coils and need perches and leaf springs. Both guys I know bought aftermarket 2500 lb. trailer springs that are around 30" long. The other item is asthetics. The spindles and kingpin arrangement is huge. Makes them very strong, but they also look a bit bulky visually at the knuckles.

Once all the brackets are removed, it's a clean setup, and having the 4.5" pattern, with disc brakes makes a nice start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts