Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a couple inches of clearance for my new rear tires and think that a couple inches more will do the trick. I have some that are rediculous in length but I think I could trim them down so the result is maybe 2" longer. Any problems with that and Cal-Tracs? I plan on using a rear sway bay too.

I know that I could get re-arched springs or wagon springs but I'm trying to be frugal.

I don't think that I've had a car with longer shackles before so I don't want to make a stupid mistake.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Couple inches over stock shouldn't affect anything, especially with a swaybar, but even without it hould be fine. How's the stance going to be with a couple inches at the rear?

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you are concerned with them possibly flexing, weld a bar across the center of each shackle and that will stiffen them up.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to try these out. I'll shorten them as much as possible and still keep them about 2" longer than stock. They have a bend in them and I think they should go like the stock ones with the 'knee' facing forward. Got some 5/8" grade 8 fine bolts and lock washers to keep it all in place. I have the red bushings (neoprene?) that I got from the 4x4 store. I'll show some pics when it's done.

Mike

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Might want some nylock nuts instead of lock washers, so you don't bind on the neopreme bushings. Or double nut them to keep the tension just right.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Put on locking nuts (the dimpled kind). Problem is that 2" of leaf lift doesn't equal 2" of body lift. It went up about 1/2 to 1" max. I could go more on the shackle but...

I may just have to spring for some re-arched new springs. (pun intended)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
....... Problem is that 2" of leaf lift doesn't equal 2" of body lift. It went up about 1/2 to 1" max. I could go more on the shackle but..... I may just have to spring for some re-arched new springs. (pun intended)
Reversing and/or lengthening has always been a quick & easy way to pick up a little bit of lift.

Of course, back in day I have seen some pretty crazy reversed shackle with made extra long (8" or so). The setup actually caused the back end of the leaf spring to flatten out...... LoL

Adding additional leafs or preferably re-arched springs is the way to go.

mt94ss BTW..... Who did the "photo shop" of you gasser?

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...actually caused the back end of the leaf spring to flatten out.....

mt94ss BTW..... Who did the "photo shop" of you gasser?
That's what happened here. The arch of the spring is less and more laid out. If I could find a 2" wide Add-A-Leaf I think that would work. I had an early Chevy Luv that I did that on and it worked great. Raised it about 2-3".

Not sure what photo shopped image of my car you are talking about. Is it the green one? That was a tire shop preview, I think. You could choose color and height, etc. Been a few years.

Mike

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Photo Shop

..... Not sure what photo shopped image of my car you are talking about. Is it the green one? That was a tire shop preview, I think. You could choose color and height, etc. Been a few years.
Mike
Yep Mike it is the "green one".

What program was used?

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
You might contact Jeff, (1956 Chevy Gasser) about leaf springs! When we swapped new wagon springs into his '56 they were too stiff, so we pulled leafs out of the pack. If he still has those new leafs you could add them to your spring pack and just get a longer allen cap bolt to allow for the slightly thicker pack and get the rear up that way. Might even be able to remove one of your leafs and replace with these that have more arc, and get there too.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was measuring the springs to see what options I had and found that the second spring has worn about 1/8" out of the main spring. Couldn't tell when the springs were arched, but the raised shackles laid the spring out and it was easy to see.

I guess I'll get new springs after all and then get a pair of lift leaves to put into the pak. They are about $100 and a local shop will custom make them for lift and length. They are long so the ride quality ( sheesh, right) won't be adversely effected.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After much consideration on the rear suspension I decided to get the 5 leaf spring set. My springs were shot so I needed new ones anyway and the price difference was minimal.

The install went easy enough. I had to press out the front rubber bushings and install the sleeves for the Cal-Tracs from the old springs. I got neoprene bushings for the rear, not sure if I'll keep them. The 5-leaf pack is stiff enough and the harder bushings make flexing a lot more difficult.

The ride height is just about perfect. Now I can set the new crossmember for the shocks and order some that are the correct length.

Mike

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
After much consideration on the rear suspension I decided to get the 5 leaf spring set. My springs were shot so I needed new ones anyway and the price difference was minimal.

The ride height is just about perfect.

Mike
Mike..... YES it is. Feels great when you get an issue figured out and the work done. Now on to the "next" one!!!!!
==========================================================================
Mine are quite long and have a crossmember. They give me no grief at all
GREAT PICTURE of your Nova !!!! Same with your avatar !!!!!
I have always like the 1st gen Chevy II's.

I passed on one about 10 years ago. I was going thru a "sports car phase and had just bought a 911 Porsche. As soon as I saw the "bright red Nova" drive by with a "for sale sign" in the window for much less than I paid for the 911 I regretted not seeing the Nova before I spent the money on the Porsche.

The '63 had logged some "drag strip time" as it had fenderwell exit headers - big & little S/S Cragars - no back seat and a "nasty sounding" SBC.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts