Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although it is still months away I would like to hear opinions between my two choices of engines. It will be going in my 49 Anglia which is being built like the 60's gassers. I have been thinking of getting either a 383 and putting Inglese or Hilborn EFI injection or using a supercharger. It is a 4 speed setup with a 373 ford 9 inch rear end. Right now Edlebrock has a complete 350 engine/blower setup for about the same price of a 383 with either of the injection set ups. The car will be used for cruising and a pass or two at the nostalgia drags. Both have a certain WOW appeal although you don't see as many of the old stacked injection systems at the shows I am able to go to. Opinion will be appreciated.

Thanks
Rod

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Hey Rod.............Super charger always is the big eye grabber, the Hilborn efi is almost plug and play but its still is not as user friendly as they say, you will have to take it to a pro tuner too get it right, as well I dont think it has the look of the really old stuff witch is just not street able, but you know even a nice tunnel ram is a beautiful thing to see go by, with a pair of holly's, its your choice really, Just keep in mind for street use you are going to have to cool it, and the more you build the engine, the harder that becomes, start boring things out makes it run hotter, big cam, high compression and so on, a blower will give good power to most any combination. And the plus is you can change the over or under drive on it to make it more street able............Lash

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice Lash. I do remember that on the Hilborn site they mention that you will probably have to tune by lap top. The Inglese system uses the FAST 2.0 computer system and is suppose to be completely self learning if you can believe their info. I do like the thought of a new engine with engineered components that the Edlebrock part #46040 uses, a new GM ZZ block, forged internals 9.5 to 1 compression Edlebrock cam, lifters, blower and carbs and I believe it puts out 5 pounds of boost. I really don't need the 519 horsepower to push a 2200 pound Anglia around but I don't have to floorboard it either.
Thanks again. Any more opinions?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Tough decision. Almost to the flip a coin suggestion. Both will look great in the car. Depending on how tall the hat on the blower is, you may have vision issues while driving. Probably less with the injection, unless you get really tall intake tubes. The EFI might be more streetable once tuned. Either one would make me happy. You have to like the Edelbrock engine all being matched and packaged as a system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts