Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep.... I'm BACK!!!!

After quite a LONG absence from the GHR Forum I tired longing in last evening ..... NO GO!

For some reason my old user name (OpelGasser) would not let me go thru the "having trouble/forgot password' only thing "I think" is I never updated my email address. The website remembered my "user name" but after repeated tries I could get a email sent to reset my password.

Just as well.... as you have probably been thinking..... the change of my "user name" is not just about not being able to reset my password it also reflects ANOTHER project change.

From Opel Kadett to Opel GT and now to the car I have wanted since I was a kid......a '41Willys Coupe.

Even though I have not done much of anything on the Opel GT for way too long I stil had NO intention of making another "switch". A LONG TIME friend of mine is going thru a divorce. The settlement included selling his hot rods and dividing the money from the sales with his ex-wife. One hot rod is a very nice "turn key" model A pickup truck.

The other ..... a '41 Willys coupe project/roller. 2nd generation Atlanta Hot Rod fiberglass body which was originally mounted on a "pro street" chassis and offerered for sale by a builder in Georgia. My friend was looking for a "body" or prefferably a "roller" to build an "old school" Gasser. Suprisingly, the builder agreed to separate the body from the chassis and sell it to my friend.

Being the body had been already mounted on a chassis and offered for sale many of the things that need to be done when building a fiberglass car had alreay been done. Doors, fenders hood, trunk, etc hinged - fitted & mounted. Power windows & door poppers installed.

Wanting an "old school look" for both the body & chassis a previously hot rodded "Willys frame" was found for sale on eBay. The frame was boxed & modified in "TRUE Old School" fashion. Lord knows WHEN & for HOW LONG this frame was modified & used under the '38 Willys from where it came.

When my friend told me to come over and check out his "new project" I did not expect to see a Willys coupe. Needless to say, I thought sure would be nice to have a car, my dream car just like this one someday. As fate would have it, because of the divorce, the Willys was offered "for sale" at a price I could actually afford.

Hopefully soon, all the remaining legal battles will be over soon & I be able to bring the car home. The car comes with an additional "race-weight" 3 piece frontend from a vintage Willys gasser. I do not have mant good pictures being NO ONE is allowed i the garage where the cars are stored due to the divorce.

I still can't believe this car is ours. Will feel better when it is sitting in our garage. Goes to prove..... NEVER say NEVER !!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Hey John, welcome back. I was thinking about you the other day. Hadn't heard from you and was afraid something happened. However, you my friend are just some kinda lucky son of a gun. First an Opel racer and now a Willy's. Take care. Looking forward of photos for the new project.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I must be rusty or something...... MIKE I responded to your post but nothing is here. Trying again !!!! I need to get back to how it used to be. Since then I have switched from a laptop to a tablet and need to figure out how to get my PhotoBucket working again. For some reason it will not let me "delete" pictures nor copy picture addresses in order to post them on forums, etc..... hope to figure it out before the Willys gets here.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Well let me start by saying welcome back! And then WOW! Getting a Willys gasser project is very cool, although the Opel GT is a great project also! Can't wait to see pictures!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Welcome back Mark! I too wondered how the heck you're doing. I was awol for a while also but hope to be back on track now and able to get things rolling in the right direction once again soon. Likewise, I look forward to hearing more about your new Willys and looking at lots of pics!

Congratulations!!!

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Welcome back Milner..........(cool)....... Your log in woes with Opel gasser were due to a password change. But thats water under the bridge. A bridge that will be crossed over by a 41 Willyssssssss........... Woooooohoooooo. good for you John.
Hope you get it soon. Good things come to people who wait patiently. So happy for you....

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
So whats going to happen to the poor Opel???? I really wanted to see it done up to its glory days...hope you can keep both

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi again everyone..... feels good to open the GHR Forum & have NO issues. Although I do have to admit I did have to "think twice" when I first logged back on looking for my previous GHR user name (OpelGasser).

As Vall, Mario, Steve, Mike, Robert & others who remember me will tell you I was pretty regular for quite a long time on this forum. At time out-posting VALL which everyone here knows is almost an impossible thing to do.... Ha!!!!

I am still reeling about the Willys. Without repeating too much from my post "above" the Willys is still sitting in the garage where he used to live. Man, there sure is a LOT of legal BS invovling the dispersion of what the courts consider "mutal property". Considering how long my friend had been married EVERYTHING (especially both of the hot rods) have to be handled thru the court system due to both of them having a 50% right of ownership.

Anyway, where i stand now I am still waiting for the lawyers to iron out all of the things that need done before it will be OK for me to bring EVERYTHING home.

Yes, everything ! As I mentioned above, there is the Willys' body, a race-weight frontend & Willys frame..... there is ALL the glass which is stored in the home (w/ex-wife). But the biggest "hang-up" is a fresh, pro-built 434ci SBC short block. The original court order included the short block with the sale the Willys. Somehow another friend of theirs wanted to BUY the engine & he had it sent to his home. NO money has been ever been exchanged but this person STILL has it.

As of now I not know the status of this problem. Until ALL the mentioned is WITH the car everything is at a STANDSTILL. My friend told me he is hoping everything will be taken care of by the end of the month. As Mario said above.... "good things happen to people who are patient" !!!! I am working on it.

Right now going to look at everyone's projects & posts in an effort to somehow "catch up" with what I have missed. I noticed members who have joined this forum in my absence. Plus a couple of Willys thread. GOT A LOT OF READING TO DO !!!!! MORE LATER !!!! :cool:

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Hey john, old Markus O'Missyouous here. I have been absent in posting but I have been looking in here and there. I noticed that you had been missing and was worried that it may have been a health issue. So glad that you are OK and back at it. WOW. A Willy's. I thought that Opel was a cool ride but you can not never dismiss the opportunity to build/own a Willy's. Good for you John. I'm looking forward to your postings on it. It's good that you are back.

Mark

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Mark..... We sure used to have a LOT of fun during the "early days" of the GHR Forum.

Have issues with my "photobucket" & "cloud". Both are maxed with pictures of hot rods & grand-twins.

I need to up the storage (Cloud offers more than PhotoBucket) or start ALL OVER using another website????

Still have things to do with setting up here on GHR Forum. Changing user names took away all I has established in the years in frequented this forum as OpelGasser.

As I mentioned before I cannot get any pictures of the Willys until the LAWYERS settle everything.

NOTICE...... I was able to post one of the FEW pictures I have of our Willys as my AVATAR. Picture was taken before my friend filed for divorce.

Hope to have all the "legal hassles" taken care of around the end of this month.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi John, good to see you back. The Willys! Great! I'm hoping all the legal mumbo jumbo gets sorted soon and get it to your house. Looking forward to it.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Glad that you are back! The Willys sounds like it will be tops. Happy to see Mark here too. Maybe we can resurrect the OG crew afterall... Val is always here... Lovin' all the build threads and now we have another cool one. Hope it happens sooner than later.

Mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi everyone.... Well it's been OVER a month since my last post about the Willys. Lord knows how many times I came close to saying the hell with it. So much so I made some calls to some of my hot rod friends to find a '32 Ford frame instead of dealing with all of the "divorce drama" surrounding my purchase of my friend's '41 Willys coupe.

Well FINALLY everything has been worked out. We will be pickig up the Willys at 8am tomorrow morning. at 8:00am. Whew !!!!

Needless to say it will be worth the wait. :cool: :) :cool:

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Excited for ya john. Be careful with the pending weather. Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
That is just totally great to finally be getting the ultimate gasser lovers car.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
This is awesome news, John! Congratulations! Can't wait to see some PICS !!! :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts