Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife (Gina) & I have been talking for a long time about getting a motor home & another more sensible daily driver for to replace her Avalanche. We were always talking and looking but not buying until we found the right combination & also a good deal financially.

Well it finally happened a few weeks ago. Traded her Avalanche in for an SS turbocharged HHR & got more than enough $ back in the deal to also get a motor home.

we agreed we did not want to stick too much money into an RV even though we would also use it for "family camping weekends" etc in addition to having it as a tow vehicle for the Opel GT allowing us to camp at the drag strips we go,to.

Plus we both wanted an "older looking" Class A RV to go with the old school look of the Opel GT.

So now she also has a project to work on this Winter. She has already gutted most of the interior, removed cabinets for refinishing, tore out all the carpeting, found Pergo flowering to replace it & bought material to recover all the seats & cushions.

Gina has wanted to do this for a long time. Now both of us have projects that will keep us busy over the LONG cold Winter....

·
Registered
799 Posts
I LOVE it! What a great starting point for sure!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Steve.... Right now Gina is working on the seat cushions.... In our nice warm family room!!! Next will be the cabinets that she'll be doing in our heated workshop. So it will be awhile before she will have to work inside the Winnebago.

The week after we got the weather here was very cold & windy. So heaters are already in there. Fun project for her.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Very cool all in the family project. Nice. Gina has the eye of the tiger:)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Over the weekend we did some experimenting with ebony stain & some satin black paint.

The oak trim on the fronts of all the cabinetry take the "ebony stain" without any problems. Pretty straight forward. Using ebony to go with the material Gina is using for all of the cushions. The cabinet sides & door inserts are made of very thin wood much like cheap wall paneling. Probably for both cost savings & too keep the weight down. Problem is there is no way to stain it using ebony stain. So she will have to do a "faux finish" to get the color as close to the oak wood trim as possible.

Fooling around she did some "faux finish" on the sliding door from the bottom of bathroom cabinet. It came out great. Doing the sides & inserts will be a lot harder to do.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure wish we could work on "metal shaping" like we can on wood.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Sure wish we could work on "metal shaping" like we can on wood.
I know exactly what you mean. I did the woodwork on the coupe at the trunk and back glass and quarter panel areas. They were shattered from the accident. I put the pieces together and created templates to reproduce the new pieces. It was very interesting to see how the GM assembly line put these cars together back in the 30's. Craftsmanship from the horse carriage work force was redirected to the auto industry. It was very educational. Lots of respect out to those guys. Left side wood pieces were mirrored for the right side.
Check my albums in the resurrection of the coupe somewhere in the early parts of the build.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Isn't it time to begin a build thread for your Opel?.....Been waiting and waiting . . .
Way Over do Tommy..... I did have a build thread for the Opel Kadett Station Wagon that I started this project with. One thing after another kept happening. Looking back I am amazed I am where I am right now.

On the surface it would appear I am making "NO PROGRESS". In some cases I have been stagnant due to some illness in our family and my own physical limitations these past couple of years. But the biggest thing many may consider "going backwards" is switching from the Kadett SW to the GT.

In the middle of that happening getting a tube chassis for next to nothing did have me wasting quite a bit of time. The Kadett SW body would have been a direct drop onto the tube chassis as is. It was built & used for many years under a Vega SW. Spent a lot of time cutting the Kadett "free" from its unibody/sub-frame. Low-Buck here.... NO plasma cutter here. Even so I did enjoy the work. Once the body was just a shell sitting on a dolly waiting for mounting I started working on cleaning up the tube chassis. The tube chassis had been sitting under a tarp for many years so a lot of clean up is needed.

in addition to some back, hand problems & family happenings pulled me away from working on the car. GOOD THING. IF I would have mounted the Kadett body on the tube chassis I would have never considered removing it when the Opel GT became available.

So that is where I am now. Proud owner of a vintage CE/A Opel GT with lots of drag racing history in the 70's thru 1981. Some of which I have been able to find out about. This have given me a whole "new take" on the direction I am going. Restoring a vintage Opel GT drag car to what it used to be back in the day.

Lately I have been taking the rear section of the roll cage apart piece by piece. The halo needs to be lowered a couple of inches to fit inside the GT. Once I have all the tubes removed a trial fit will happen. Also doing some body work on the rear panel of the GT. Bought another one & some other body parts from a guy in Dallas, Texas but it still needs some rust repair on the bottom section, replacing the license plate area with a box for the parachute & adding "six Corvette tail lights"

Guess it "is time" to finally start a build page.... Ha

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi John,
hope all is well and you're feeling ok. I saw this on ebay and had to show you.
take care.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Resin-Opel-GT-Gasser-/111558315796?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276
Looked at the eBay info.... Nice looking GT model. Looks serious!!! Haven't built a model car for a LONG time. Have quite a few Un-opened Willys Gassers I have collected over the years that I plan to build one day (their on the "list").

The "resin" models look pretty intense. Wonder how one would come up with all the rest of the parts? Guess you can tell I know nothing about the "model car world". I often see model car parts for sale on eBay. Guess you would have to make windows, windshield, etc ????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts