Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks for the NEW "Gasser Interior" area.

With all I need to do this Winter "interior stuff" is going to be important.

Right now it only has "one seat"....

......got some ideas I'll post later today..... Right now

Gotta "shovel snow" so we can get the cars up the driveway..... :mad: THINK SPRING!!!!!

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
So what do you have now for interior besides the bucket? Is it just painted metal?
Seems to be a lot of choices in street/strip gassers, as to what level of interior finish they get. I see everything from bare metal, to all aluminum, to complete finished and carpetted interiors. Mine is somewhere inbetween. Didn't want bare aluminum, but also wanted to keep it simple and light. Sound deadener was definitely a must when I put mine together! I still don't have carpet, just black wool felt glued to the sound deadener. Maybe get simple carpet this year, but probably not until next year.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I know I am up in the air for carpeting. I like the racing seat, but would like a second bucket. I was thinking of two newer buckets redone in vinyl with classic accents. Not factory but I saw a Chevy Gasser from the mid 60s and the guy had headrests.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I cut my firewall and moved the engine back. So I had to move the seat back 11 inches. I decided to just recover the original bench seat with a---drum roll please----Indian blanket. Since th ecar is a Tin Indian Pontiac I thought it would be fun. Not sure it'll stay that way but for now it is OK.

Ididn't do a very good job of sculpting the foam at the front edge of the seat but it'll get by for now. MArk L

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
This what it ended up looking like in the car and set back 11 inches.

And the rear shelf and back seat firewall.

Mark L

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I'm still playing with the idea of mounting the radiator in the trunk so the fornt of the engine is wide open, plus get that extra weight off of the front. If I do I will probably open up the flooring right after the old seat back framework and make ducting to run the air from under the car to the radiator. Then build more ducting after the radiator shroud up underneath the trunk lid. I've been trying to figure out how to best get the hot air out of the trunk/ducting. One big hole in the trunk lid, I don't like that idea. A big hole in the trunk lid and span the opening with metal mesh painted to match the trunk lid. Or what I want to do but don't know how much it will cost, louver the trunk lid to let the air out??? Would have to find someone local that can louver the trunk lid. Mark L

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
I didn't want open door panels, or aluminum door panels. Just wanted the inner structure covered. I bought thin masonite board and covered it with black naugahyde. Since my racing buckets are set so far back I decided to omit the rear seat and just install dividers that I also covered with black naugahyde on the back, and the same wool felt on the bottom sheet. Nothing exotic, and the whole interior cost under $125, including the headliner my wife sewed up for it.

I've just got some old floor mats tossed down over the wool felt to help keep it in shape. Hope to some day get some real carpet down. I also think I may change the buckets out, as I drive the Austin a lot and after a few hours these barely padded seats get pretty hard!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

If I could find a match to the cover that is on solo seat in the Opel I would just buy another fiberglass seat to match it. The seats cover has a really cool stitching at the top/headrests that form the outline of an Indian head.

Some brand NEW buckets I have laying around from a previous project look too "new" for the "period correct" look I am after.

Recently I have been leaning towards using "bomber seats".

My wife also likes to sew so she will being make removable seat pads for the bomber seats (and also the headliner).

The stock door panels are in good shape (blue & white) so I plan to keep them and will change the colors to black with red trim.

I also plan to move the gas pedal away from the "dog house". It gets really hot from the heat that radiates off the headers. Will be adding to the roll bar as well as redoing the dash, gauges, etc

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After posting the pics above I went back & re-read all of the posts again.

One thing about "gasser-styled" is the interiors can be everything from completely stripped interior with one bucket seat to a "full-custom" interior.

There was a time that NHRA rules required a "complete" interior.... seats, carpets, etc.

I like the "looks" of a complete "stainless steel" interior - floor, door panels, dash, headliner, etc but I do not have the "skills" or equipment to do it "right"

As 1946Austin mentioned "sound deadener" is a must if it is driven on the street & NOT just for use a 1/4 mile at a time.

Right now our Opel has NO insulation anywhere and the noise & radiated heat is too much to bear. So the option of having a "full custom" interior with insulation, carpeting, etc and STILL being "period correct" is one I am going to take advantage of.

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Interesting to see the old SW&C Swindler Willys interior. Looks like he's got highback buckets in it, and very plush too! I can't tell you how many people have told me, "They didn't have highback buckets in the old gassers."
Highback racing buckets were around years before Detroit started even putting headrests on lowback buckets, or full highback buckets in factory cars.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I mentioned in one of the other threads about a 50's Chevy gassers The Storming Bull and the seats had headrests. It was in the new HRD. So the people who say high backs didn't come in gassers would really flip over headrests.

I'm planning my interior right now and these posts have given me good ideas. I would like to add a second seat, but I am not sure if I got scrounge some buckets, with head rests at the junkyard, or go with a metal seat. My wife will probably never want to ride in the car with either seat.

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
My wife said she wouldn't ride in my Austin if it didn't have headrests or high back buckets, and seat belts. I always figured she'd never ride again once she felt the stiff suspension and barely padded seats. First trip she made with me was a 4th of July parade we were in, so longer than usual, and she loved it! She said she really enjoyed the old Austin, and the reaction it got from parade spectators, so she'd gladly go again, but I have to leave the high back seats!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I'm still figuring on staying with the Indian blanket bench seat.

I told my wife that we could do a little nostalgic necking like the old days. AND SHE LAUGHED--OUT LOUD--AND LAUGHED AGAIN WHEN SHE GOT A VISUAL--. Real encouraging--HA!. Mark L

·
Registered
699 Posts
That Indian blanket cracks me up as It reminds me of pretty much every Chevy truck my dad has owned. The seats get trashed over time so in goes the Indian blanket! I think it fits what you are doing though so I agree with keeping it!

I am going to go to the fabric shop to get material to recover the door panels and the rear seat panels. I have the foam underlay for a wood floor I might use for sound deadener and for foam under the fabric. I never used it for the wood floor and I keep dragging it around with me when I move. Sometimes it's good to be a packrat. I also need to find some sheet metal to make a fire wall for the trunk where the fuel cell is located. That might be a good place to use some of the foam and fabric to keep trunk noise out of the interior.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Great idea for the door panels. Keep it simple! As for the seats, I have picked up a pair of '68 Camero seats for the "Minor project." The old fiberglass buckets look great and weigh less but for a Sunday afternoon cruise they just don't fit my old ageing rear-end either. lol

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I'm changing my interior over to black except for the seat. Big sale at a fabric store got me a lot of black soft leather like material. I to will put down some thin foam material under the rear firewall t give it some softness and to sound deaden. Maybe even use a sound deadener and insulator for heat coming from the trunk. Got my radiator at a swap this weekend and if I do install it in the trunk its gunna get hot in there. Found I have enough room under the floor to physically mount it but not sure there's enough space above the radiator to the floor for proper air movement???? Lots to look at and measure. Mark L

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've already been told to go find an LS site but I am looking for some of the concepts you guys have to make my own ride unique. The interior is certainly once place you can give a car a lot of character and functionality. MY 2004 GTO is a unibody so once I got the cage in I started tying it to the sub frame connectors. I have been thinking seriously about getting some 2'x3'X2' blocks of foam and literally making a foam and upholstered back seat and passenger seat. Eliminating the OEM interior for those areas saves me well over 120 lbs. I have been seriously looking for a solution such as the bomber seats. Challenge is to hook up the electronics to the air bag and seatbelt warning stuff. One thing I also wanted was the fire suppression system. I have it half done and will add another bottle so I have three zones of coverage, my balls, the engine, and the fuel cell.

Repairing the original seats was fun. I admire the headliner development mentioned above

1 - 20 of 25 Posts