Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yes you can. Not hard at all. Did mine that way. I didn't use a "kit" like most others do, though. Sourced parts myself, after doing some homework and some measuring. Used a '59 Chevy truck axle with CJ5 6" lift springs. On the frame, I used new CJ spring eye mounts at one end and '56/'57 car rear shackles w/fab'd shackle mounts at the other. Steering is easy to set up too, and there's a good thread on that here on this site.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I've done 4 '55-'57 Chevys without stubbing the frame. Used stock frame and always used '55-'59 Chevy truck axles as donors. I also used the truck springs on 3 of the 4.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes you can. Not hard at all. Did mine that way. I didn't use a "kit" like most others do, though. Sourced parts myself, after doing some homework and some measuring. Used a '59 Chevy truck axle with CJ5 6" lift springs. On the frame, I used new CJ spring eye mounts at one end and '56/'57 car rear shackles w/fab'd shackle mounts at the other. Steering is easy to set up too, and there's a good thread on that here on this site.
that is quite the set up. how much higer is it from stock? what is the length of the truck axle from eye to eye?

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Overall width of the '55-'59 truck axle is about 1"-1.5" wider than the stock measurement. Looks really good with the skinny tires most guys run on their gassers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i gave speedway a call. they said i need a 50'' axle for the same track width as a stock set up. this is what im goin for, i want my front tires in the same spot for the fenders but higher. now all this is gathering info for now. ive got a millon miles to go, i just took of a front fender that needs a pacth......

·
Registered
374 Posts
Keep in mind the width of the front wheels you'll be using. If you're going with a 3.5/4.0" wheel, you can go an inch or two wider with the axle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i do plan on having skinny front tires. i got the left fender off, trying to remove the seat. flooors r bad. so i wanta do the floors and pull the motor. have the motor looked at to see what the story is. thats the plan of now....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts