Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine who has a speed shop dropped off an oil pan the other day for a repair. The bottom was a bit banged up and had some light shining threw. Now the tough part is ya just can't find this particular pan. It's a one or two year 327 that has real short reveals on the side, so your can't just throw any pan in its place.

Just out side the marker area is what needs replaced.

So my patch is 6" X 8" to start, which is about two inches wider so I can stretch the edge to bring it down over.

This is with the corners cut and the first pass with the edge shrunk.

Two more passes and the edge is coming down quick.

Now it's quite a bit closer and I trimmed some of the excess off and planisher out some of my shrinking marks.

Now I closed my eyes and cut the old one off. Well after closely trace marking ! !

And the initial fit up...

I still have some fine tuning.....

Here tacked in place..

And now burn some good penetration weld..

Now tomorrow I will grind the proud off the weld and metal finish.... Who would of thought on an old oil pan :cool:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hey Steve it looks like you mig welded it. And if so doesn't mig leave small pin holes? Seemed to when I tried it or it could have been because i didn't use argon, I used mixed gas, don't know. Andy

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not at all Andy, seasoned body men have difficulties once in awhile. I had a friend call me with a new welder that was having trouble. I went to help him weld some panels in and when I got there I noticed he set a fan right near his work area. When I went to weld he turned it on. :confused: I ask why he said to blow the fumes away..... I explained that its possible that the fan is blowing the shielding gas away from his weld. He said well that sucks ! ! I bought a new welder because I was having the same problem with the old one. :cool::cool: He stopped using the fan in the direct area and his welds were fine. ;)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thanks Steve, now I don't feel totally dumb, I will remember that it can be done if the parts are really clean and the gas mix is right. Thanks again. Andy

·
Registered
510 Posts
Steve, the welder I have came from the Eastwood co. It is very simular to the miller matic and the settings are indefinite instead of the 1-2-3 type dial I did have a miller matic 140 but the electronics quit working the salesman that sells me my gas & consumables said because I use it mainly for body repairs and spot welding tacks over and over for so many years it had messed up the board. I think I might try to get a new board for it later. Andy

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the infinite adjustment or fine tune settings. There are so many slight variables even for the same gauge sheet metal some times the 1,2,3, settings are a bit spread on the dial. Miller makes a great welder, I bought my Licnlon SP200 back in 1980 and knock on wood still use it today. It's a big old hulk, but it has all the bells and whistles for that year and not sure I could ever ware it out. It would be nice to have a much smaller machine, in physical size, but this one still has loads of life left yet. Tis is the exact model of mine.....

·
Registered
510 Posts
Steve, Wow that welder is as big as Vall's Austin. Just kidding I had one simular but it was a Hobart and at the time really took up to much room in the shop I worked in. So a guy had the almost new miller and wanted a bigger welder so we traded and he also threw in some parts I needed for a build at the time. I did miss the ajustable heat setting, you could really dial it in when working with thin or panels that had surface rust for many years and became paper thin. Andy

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Nice work on the oil pan!
Steve, my Miller 140 is pretty infinite adjustment, as the various number points aren't click adjustments, they can be set between numbers easily. I've run into shielding issues when welding outdoors with a breeze, and I just turn the gas pressure up from aroun 12-15 lbs. that I normally run to around 20 lbs. That's usually enough to compensate for the breeze, but if it's too windy I put a barrier up to block the wind and it welds fine then. If a fan is needed to keep the smoke away, or keep the operator cool, then I use a shield to keep it from blowing the shielding gas away even indoors.

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Andy, if you have any trouble finding the board, let me know. The company I retired from is an authorized Miller warranty repair station, and I can call one of the guys there and see about getting a board.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thanks Vall, I'll need to get my tools and welders moved out of storage when I close on my house. Can't hardly wait! Andy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts