Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Steve, I am finally ready to attack the oil canning problem on my '55. There is a raised portion about the size of a pie plate right above the part I cut out. It's a fairly flat surface and I need the crown to smooth out.

You can see the basic outline of where I was working on it. I tried a shrinking disc but couldn't get it hot enough. The one I used is the 5" on a grinder. I have a larger one but it takes a 9" grinder and I don't have one yet. Could the problem be I am not using the flat part of the disc? The disc is supposed to warm up the metal and then I would spray it with water to cool it down and thus shrink it.

I have tried torch methods before with disterous results so I am not wanting to try that.

I am redoing it because the previous repair I just filled it with bondo. I don't really want to buy a whole quarter just to fix this.

Mike

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
The toughest thing to do is to remove a stretched area while you have an edge open like you do.if you could start to put your repair panel in and tack it to the edge, and as your doing that push out from behind to make your panel align properly. Once you get some tacks in place it will be easier to take control of the oil can area. Now when you install your repair panel, and tack it in place start from the middle with your weld, and work your way to each outside edge. This keeps your warppage to a bare minimum. I start with a tack in the middle, then a tack at the end, then another on the opposite end, then go back to the right side of the middle and tack it three to four hot tacks, then go to the left side of the middle and tack three to four hot tacks heading in the opposite direction. This will force the heat from the middle, out. At the same time your oil can will tighten and you will have better success in your repair. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts